Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No need to bleed air on a cylinder replacement – yes?

TreeHogger · 2014-04-05 11:10

Greetings Gents - I should take delivery of my rebuilt bucket cylinder for a JD 490D this week (finally). I am thinking there is no need to bleed out air in the steel line/barrel... Would anyone disagree?? Thanks, Mark

Replies4
  1. #1CRAFT2014-04-05 11:15

    No Argument from Me ! …… LOL It might be spongy for the first few strokes (cycles) but that will be gone in very short order …...

  2. #21466IH2014-04-05 22:14

    That all depends on what it is lol. Two days ago I helped a local farmer change the wing fold cylinder on his 40ft dmi cultivator and when done I said now go start the tractor and let me bleed the air as you move the lever. He said I have never done that before in my life it will be fine so I said whatever you say and proceeded to watch him sheer off two 5/8 bolts and destroy the wing wheel assembly as it crashed to the ground the moment it over centered Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-04-06 00:50

    On a BKT Cyl you are ok but there are some cases that it is a must to bleed them. I watched a guy destroy a yarder by lowering the tube right after he replaced a cylinder w/o bleeding it. If it's an application were there is a free load on it, I will cycle the cyl back and forth a few times before I pin the rod in.

  4. #4Firemanmike692014-04-06 01:11

    I usually just run them slow and in increasingly longer strokes until I reach the end of the stroke