My L has good brakes on the peddle but nothing on the parking brake. I have looked at and adjusted the handle and cable(shortened) but nothing helps. Case shop manager thought the brakes must be about worn out, bur also figured with 8500 hrs. on the clock that they should have been replaced at some time. His recommendation was to drain the rear end figuring all that brake debris would in the oil. He said a break job will cost about $2000. My peddle brakes are good. How long do brakes last? Any thoughts? Jim
Jim: Did you drain some oil out of the axle to check it? There was a bulletin on those park brakes back in 1997 or early 1998. The cam on the park brake was held with a roll pin. This pin sheers and you lose park brake. Update was a bolted cam. Could be your only problem if the brakes work good.
gggraham, thanks for your info. It is on my to do list. I will have to get a view of this roll pin out of the service manual book from the Case dealer. That sounds like the problem. Yes, brakes are good. Anybody know average life hours of brakes? Thank You, Jim
Jim, I'm new here but a long time visitor.I've pulled down a few axles with brakes working perfectly - to find friction discs worn out with discs running steel on steel. For what it's worth - drain oil & check magnet on drain plug. If it looks like cousin itt (aadams family) that will be your problem