Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No permit means angry firemen haha

Monrad ยท 2008-03-27 04:20

Sorry guys couldnt help sending this one in, lit a fire the other day, just a small one but alas these firemen must of been bored this day and followed the smoke trail

Replies16
  1. #1DirtHauler2008-03-27 04:52

    Well it is the end of summer there isn't it? I will admit, that did not look like much of a dangerous fire.

  2. #2[-Agent-]2008-03-27 05:11

    Wow that sucks, they had to use there big mean hose to put that out, just let it burn...

  3. #3atgreene2008-03-27 16:04

    I chase fires caused from people who try to burn when they aren't supposed to. It's always a hoot to pull up to a fire spreading toward someones house or equipment. Generally they are screaming that they are sorry and didn't realize it would spread so fast. ointhead

  4. #4littledenny2008-03-27 16:39

    Ditto what atgreene said. Nothing honks me off more that stopping my job to go to someone else's job, to put out the "little fire" that suddenly got away from them. It's one thing when the little fire's attended, and stays little, but so many guys start it, ignore it, and suddenly, it becomes a big deal. Those that tend to call for the permits, tend to control their fires. Those who just go ahead and light a fire are the bozos who ignore them, and are the ones I get to meet at strange times and places. Around here, permits are free, and getting caught without one can put a bite on your wallet. State Forestry here takes no prisoners. Far as I'm concerned, the firefighters ought to get a free half hour with any equipent on site, so we can carve our initials on their truck hoods.

  5. #5Monrad2008-03-28 05:50

    I also agree with both of you fully, as you can see it is on metal so no chance of spreading and I was watching like a hawk if any chance of drift. It is the idiots that give us a bad name. Also as it happens there wasn't a fire ban for our district at that stage but the small area that we live in has a permanent ban which I did not know about, had I so I would of applied for a permit prior. Hats off

  6. #6littledenny2008-03-28 12:39

    With respect, Monrad, but there is no such thing as "no chance of spreading...". I get a chuckle out of that line, and I've heard a few really wild excuses for the fire spead coming from the "perfectly contained and managed little fire". A few that come to mind: "It was only a few sparks from some leaves that my son threw on when I wasn't looking - they must have blown in the wind, and caught the dry grass across the road on fire. " (This one caught a hay field on fire, 12 acres burnt, and we managed to stop it at the creek. ) "It was only a little bunch of sticks." Windy day, same little sparks, 3 1/2 acres, straight up the hill. A patio saved the house, and 2500 gal of water, 12guys with rakes and backpack blowers and a bulldozer saved it from spreading to the adjoining National Forest and neighbors' properties. All this in an "exclusive, gated community" of 500K + homes. "We just wanted to burn out the fence row, so we plowed the field side, and figured the ditch and road would stop it on the other side." Turns out a rabbit got trapped by this one - rabbit eventually got singed, and ran across the road, with his pants literally on fire. Needless to say, this got out of hand really quick. I'm sure the paid firefighters and the volunteer firefighters (like me) could add many more. Maybe, in your case, the boys with the big hose overreacted. In my neck of the woods, we've got too many chances for thousands of acres of trees to fall prey to some hillbilly dope burning trash in his backyard. Some people here are dumb enough to burn the weeds under their propane tanks. Takes me ten minutes to get to my station, start the brush truck, transfer gear, and get on the lights and siren. Then one and half lane twisty, hilly gravel roads to wherever these dopes have planted their ratty double wides on some overgrown parcel of land. They are out in the yard, screaming because their porch is on fire - they were frying a half-frozen turkey on the porch. Hot grease and old wood aren't a good mix. Fire response from the paid crews in town takes 20 minutes at least, I beat them there by five minutes at most. Fires tend to double every 30 seconds - do the math. Sorry if I sound like I've got no sense of humor on this topic. And -Agent-, Let me know ahead of time if the fire's at you place, I'll plan appropriately.

  7. #7Wolf2008-03-28 14:18

    firemen do great work and are so dedicated to the task. thanks, guys, for all you do. you should be recognized for that here, not criticized, for goodness sake.

  8. #8Monrad2008-03-28 15:00

    Yeah I have heard a few like this two, the rabbit one has happened over this way a few times, who would of thought. Littledenny I don't mind what anyone writes about this it is good to see the other perspectives and whether or not I thought about how in control this fire was at the time it will make me think twice about future one's (with a permit). Our actions may be of good intent but outcomes are the truth of consequence.

  9. #9Countryboy2008-03-28 22:51

    That's the most common phrase I hear. Or Fire break?....the road will stop it. Denny, I'm sure you've heard of Piedmont Wildlife Refuge? That's what my station spends most of our time protecting.

  10. #10SouthOnBeach2008-03-29 01:04

    when ever I burn something I always get my little piece of permit paper and then wait for some rain so everything is nice and wet around me.

  11. #11Monrad2008-03-29 02:14

    I shall correct my statement and say less chance but still a risk.

  12. #12Countryboy2008-03-29 02:39

    We're gonna make you a fireman before it's all over with.

  13. #13littledenny2008-03-29 09:02

    Countryboy: Roger that. My property abuts the Chattahoochee National Forest, and I'm about 5 and a half miles, crowflight, from Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. (Road distance is about 11 miles to the trailhead, and a mile's hike to the end of the trail) I'm literally the first guy to arrive on scene for any medical or other problems with hikers on the southernmost 5 miles of the trail. Needless to say, I'm a bit sensitive to "fire on the mountain....."

  14. #14Monrad2008-03-29 15:23

    I have got the pole ready to go up now, my good woman can use it as well hahah

  15. #15petersfamilytru2008-03-29 18:46

    I lit a burn pile on Thursday morning that has been going strong for the last three days... Getting rid of a giant burn pile (75 to 100 stumps and all the limbs and debris) sure can make a project look good to the owner! Nothing else we do requires so little effort and produces such drastic results. www.petersfamilytrucking.com

  16. #16Monrad2008-04-02 04:25

    That will burn for weeks i reckon (at least smolder ) Its amazing when ya push around a pile that has been sitting for ages then she fires back up again. We did a few burns some weeks ago, them was some big mo fo fires, impressive, sit around around with a cold one and some food. Permits in hand to in case anyone was going to ask.