Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No Rest for the …well me.

partsandservice ยท 2016-08-14 11:59

My crew have and I have been going at non stop all summer. So yesterday a customer shows up at my shop around 3 with a double KTM pump that he wants resealed and he already has the seal kit. I was able to get started on it late yesterday. I knocked off around 8 . Also around 5 another customer shows up unannounced with a big vickers piston pump he wants checked out. So this morning I get two phone calls I do not answer, but soon find out through text message that one wants to know if I am done with the pump and the other wants to know what I found with his pump. I did not respond to to either. I need to find somewhere to go because they will probably be at my house soon looking for me. People tell me it is a good problem to have to be in such demand. They just don't know. It sucks to have to hide just to rest a little and let the fingers and body recuperate. I thought charging astronomically rates on Sunday would slow this down. Wrong even at 300/ hour. I guess I should just post that I am closed on Sunday . Thanks for letting me vent where some may understand.

Replies5
  1. #1hosspuller2016-08-14 12:29

    Yikes .. At $300 per hour, your customers must be in a hard and deep spot of trouble. You have a good problem. Can you train another person to take some of the load ? Even if you have to check their work, it's less load on you. This is why I believe in our private enterprise system. Instead of rationing resources as gov't would do, You or someone else has an opportunity to create more resources. The price signals are there.

  2. #2farmerlund2016-08-14 12:58

    Sounds like a good problem to have. but I do know it gets tiring when you cant get a break from being in demand. I have some buddys that have went to either 2 phones or they route there business numbers to cell phone. you can turn the call forwarding on or off. It sounds like you maybe have to many people know your cell number already. I think the 2 phone deal may be a better option. Just don't give out the new number, and only use old one for business.

  3. #3partsandservice2016-08-14 13:30

    Yes everybody tells me it is a good problem to have. My family likes to see me sometimes too. I am grateful for My God given talent, just overwhelmed currently. The summer heat will drive one crazy. I like the two phone idea, I believe my new smart phone can have two SIM cards , each with a separate number. I will check into that soon.

  4. #4Brodiesel2016-08-14 19:59

    Good problem to have if your makin money, are you making money!!!???

  5. #5partsandservice2016-08-14 20:51

    I make a enough to pay eight employees every week, workers comp, general liability, health , building, fleet ,garage keepers insurance, ad valorum on inventory, county property , state and federal tax and daughters out of state tuition, ect ,and there is a little left over for me. But more money won't make this better, that is the point, I thought if I made the Sunday rate high enough customers would opt to wait and if not it could deal with for that much money. It did not slow demand. I have had that rate set for three years now. I think I should make it can to can't six days a week. Also good mechanics , or a least ones with out drug problems are hard to come by around here.