I have a 2004 JCB 506c telehandler. It doesn't start and run, through spins over fine when you turn the key. The fuel/water separator does NOT re-fill when you drain it. The machine died while moving and hasn't restarted since. On two prior occasions, it died while driving but then restarted after it cooled off. Fuses are good and power appears to be coming into the wiring pigtails feeding the various electronics. I am a car/truck guy, not a heavy equipment tech by any means. About six months prior to this, the hour meter began to count time even with the engine off. Replacing the ignition switch did not solve that issue. It remains. Two questions: 1. What can be done about the hour meter issue? 2. Is there something more than a fuel pump involved in the fuel delivery issue? Thanks so very much!
Some hour meters read off the plus side of the diode trio. This could be an indication of a faulty alternator or failed accessory circuit. As far as fuel, I am not familiar enough to help with that machine.
I "think" u have an electric fuel pump on that engine?? it should fill w/ the key "on".. u should be able to hear it running.. Loosen a line to purge the air quickly.. I might be wrong? IF its running & its not pumping fuel, check for a restriction in the tank, stopping the fuel from coming out. Just work backwards from the filter head to the tank.. Once u get the filter full, your going to have to loosen the lines AT the injectors to purge THAT AIR out.. Loosen those lines & spin the engine.. once u get fuel squirting out, tighten the lines & off u go..
It looks like JCB came with either a Perkins or a Dieselmax engine. I don't anything about Dieselmax, I think it might be a JCB branded engine. In any case, if it's a Perkins, that guy came with either a mechanical lift pump or an electric pump, depending on the build. As pumpguy said, turn on the ignition (don't start yet) and listen / loosen. But - if you have a mechanical lift pump, that could have failed. Look for a lever somewhere around the fuel pump. It might look something like this: First things first - I think you need to identify the engine, and what kind of lift pump you have. My $.02