Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Noise Cancelation

timyd · 2025-04-16 12:29

Hi thanks for the ad. Looking for ways to quiet down the cab noise in my Galion 503L. Any help will save my hearing.

Replies15
  1. #1Razorsedge20032025-04-16 12:50

    Old girl is loud isn’t she? I bet foam the whole cab and it would still be loud. Maybe find an ag tractor cab kit that’s close and cut to fit.?

  2. #2timyd2025-04-16 13:06

    I am going to try to seal up on top of Batterys. And maybe some foam behind the seat. We'll see. Wish there was a boot for the shifter. Other that that its a fine small grader.

  3. #3DDoug2025-04-16 13:58

    Earplugs or ear muffs.

  4. #4Razorsedge20032025-04-16 13:59

    Maybe some rubber weather stripping along the shifter openings?

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-04-19 01:34

    You can buy sound deadening like is used in tractor cabs but it's not cheap. There's also sound deadening that can go on the underside and engine side of the cab. I put foam and indoor/outdoor carpet in my tractor cab. Guessing the grader in question has a Detroit so ear muffs with or without a radio may be the best option. There's also noise canceling head phones.

  6. #6cuttin edge2025-04-19 11:57

    My ears ring so loud, I think my dog can hear it. Look after your hearing.

  7. #7ovrszd2025-04-19 12:00

    My Mechanic Son needs noise in the bedroom so he can sleep at night because his ears ring so loud.

  8. #8bccat2025-04-20 00:43

    I am in the same boat, been around engine’s all my life, Alcohol makes it worse. Really noticed it after I retired.

  9. #91466IH2025-04-20 02:41

    I swear by these. I have 2 pairs so I can swap out while one is charging. The battery lasts a long time if you aren't playing music through them all day. You can make and receive phone calls, speech to text, just about anything on your phone by saying hey google. Here is their website and they have several options. I have 2 sets of Liberate and 1 set of the sovereign I just picked up last week. Plugfones: Earplug Headphones | Safe and Sound Discover Plugfones, the best earplug headphones available. Our in-ear headphones combine the hearing protection of earplugs with quality headphone sound. Plugfones are earplug headphones designed for work, home, play, and travel. The 25db NRR-certified earplugs feature a 3.5mm audio jack and... www.plugfones.com

  10. #10reganj2025-04-20 20:39

    I bought Duct Insulation, self adhesive foil and foam,12 by 1/8 by 15 foot from Home Depot for about 20.00 It was manufactured to put on Home A/C metal ducting. It may not help much but it may surprise you and is fairly cheap.

  11. #11treemuncher2025-04-21 07:43

    I tried to quiet and cool the cab of a machine last year. Here are some of the products that I used. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y5BQYGL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Y14Q96?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6355C63?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAFWT3S?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1 https://www.ebay.com/itm/393101792514 I don't think that the paint helped much except for the heat transmission. I think that the Siless Mat product and the Vibro Pads were the most beneficial and easiest to work with. The loaded vinyl mat was expensive but maybe helped. You will need to seal every nook and cranny where you can. Spray foam will help, too. Isolate every bit that you can from ingress of air/sound. Tear the entire cab apart and mat the entire interior with Siless Mat then overcoat with the Vibro Pad. I also used some other products not listed that were primarily for stopping heat transmission but also had some sound deadening qualities. The more you load the cab walls, the quieter it will get but open doors/windows will defeat much of the noise loss. The most important thing you can do is wear earplugs. I have had good luck with the foam type at 30-33 dB noise reduction. I have been using these for well over 40 years without any issue. I can still hear some things that the wife can't but I have noticed some hearing reduction. I am doing a lot better than most of my contemporaries, especially for the work that I have done over the years in noisy environments. It's never too late to take care of your hearing. I also notice that there is less fatigue when wearing them. On long, multi hour drives, I almost always have earplugs in when driving the car or pickup. 100% of the time when in the semi.

  12. #12DDoug2025-04-21 08:27

    Sonex was the go to in the audio industry, might work on the cab ceiling: Sonex Classic - Noise Control Products SONEX Classic Panels feature a modified anechoic wedge design for cost-effective, yet impressive sound control. The unique geometric shape of the surface pattern on these panels provides optimum deflection of sound waves, making them an excellent choice for recording and broadcast studios. These... www.noisecontrolproducts.com

  13. #13Welder Dave2025-04-21 19:03

    There's also perforated sound deadener like tractors use. It's about an inch thick. Also a coating you can apply. Cab Insulation SPECIALIZING IN ONLY The Finest Wines SHOP NOW Headliners SHOP NOW Floormats SHOP NOW Engine Compartment SHOP NOW Now your cabs can be 30% to 50% quieter. Can Save Your Hearing...And Your Sanity! Most noise that enters an operator's cab comes from: the diesel cabinsulation.com Best Soundproofing & Noise Reduction for Tractors Soundproof your tractor to protect your ears and enjoy a more comfortable experience. Shop soundproofing materials from Soundproof Cow today! www.soundproofcow.com

  14. #141466IH2025-04-21 22:04

    I had an auto body shop spray the rops and entire operators platform with some sound deadening product years ago for a customer's D3C. It was less than $500 back then but is probably double or triple that today. It made a huge difference though. I believe this is the product he used but I have also heard that the cheap auto parts store DIY spray in bed liner works great. I guess that rubberized coating absorbs a lot of the vibrations and harmonics in the metal Sound Control Automotive Sound Dampening Coating - LizardSkin Insulation For maximum car sound dampening performance, coat the car's entire interior surface and floor, inside and out with LizardSkin Sound Control. lizardskin.com

  15. #15reganj2025-05-21 20:52

    Timyd, what did you do and did it make any difference?? Enquiring minds want to know.