Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Noise Canceling Headphones

snowpeke · 2010-01-04 23:50

Anybody out there use noise canceling headphones running there equipment? If so how do they work?

Replies20
  1. #1special tool2010-01-05 11:52

    Can't say have used those. What I do is record my wife when I don't clean the snow off her windshield, or when I bring home a 12 foot Christmas tree.....can't hear the machine at all when I put that on.

  2. #2nobull12010-01-05 20:24

    I use Peltor work tunes while using my equipment. They work pretty good cancelling the noise and give you something to listen to. I always have a spare set just in case mine go bad.

  3. #3fyrwood guy2010-01-05 21:08

    are the headphones you are talking about like the ones pictured? if so, i find that voice activated transmissions are hard to understand.and push button to talk is much better. i use my set while processing firewood with my son running processor & me running the skidsteer loading the deck. i just got these headphones a little while ago and i have not got them entirely figured out & set up right yet.we are never more than 200 feet apart.i am looking forward to reply's about your question regarding these headphones.

  4. #4JTL2010-01-05 21:22

    A guy I work with wears Bose headphones. He said they work awesome. I cant stand to wear headphones myself.

  5. #5swampdog2010-01-05 22:20

    Sorry if this is off topic, but . . . fyrewood guy, that's an interesting looking firewood processor. What is it, have you had a lot of use out of it, and how do you like it?

  6. #6snowpeke2010-01-05 22:39

    Thanks for the info. I am looking to try some noise canceling headphones just to listen to the radio and ipod. Hoping that the tunes will sound better and the feller buncher less noisy fyrewood guy thats a way cool looking fire wood mill you have!

  7. #7fyrwood guy2010-01-06 08:46

    i purchased it new in smith falls ontario canada in 1986. it's called a "cord king compact".and i absolutly love it :notworthy

  8. #8fyrwood guy2010-01-06 08:56

    try not to turn up the volume too much..... i have constant ringing of the ears now because i tried that while running processor & skidsteer with regular indoor plug in headphones :Banghead just put on new carbide saw blade 'bout 4 years ago,i have just past the 1,000 cord mark and no sharpen yet this rig is definetly a keeper.....

  9. #9joispoi2010-01-06 13:39

    where did you buy the blade if I may ask?

  10. #10fyrwood guy2010-01-06 16:29

    i bought it from the mfg of my machine,while the machine was being completly re-hosed after 20 years of service and a hydraulic cooler being installed. the blade is a "kodiack" i beleive :beatsme

  11. #11IH 3500A2010-01-06 19:17

    ANC ( Active Noise Cancelation ) works by listening to the noise, compensates for timing, inverts the sound wave, then plays the now inverted sound through a speaker. The concept is simple but making it work is more difficult. There is a Japanese luxry car that uses ANC. I recently investigated having ANC installed on a 500 Ton punch press. ( impact sounds are not easy to counteract, a one off system with limited results wold be $ 100 K and up ) The vendor says some backhoes / equipment are factory equiped with ANC. Hearing protection is a big deal, once you have damaged your hearing it will never get better, only worse over time. This isn't a test of toughness, everyones ears are built the same.

  12. #12snowpeke2010-01-06 23:08

    IH 3500A I guess equipment with ANC is for the next generation of operators. I am now 58 years old and have been a loyal ear plug wearer. A few of my friends that have not been wearing then have lost a lot of there hearing.

  13. #13JClark2013-01-24 18:23

    The best headphones I have found are from a company called LINDY. Their headphones cost less than a hundred bucks and perform like a $350 set from Bose or Sony. I found them by typing in "Lindy USA part# 20425". They were the first to pop up. You can use them to simply cut down on the noise, but they have an input for MP3 player, etc.

  14. #14Colorado Digger2013-01-24 18:47

    I usually always wear push in ear plugs. We use the sparks corded 33db and they work great. If I am in the dozer for extended periods I take my I-pod and wear the earmuff style over the top. This work very well. I do have a set of noise canceling earphones as well made by Skullcandy. I only use them for long haul flights. Regards, CD

  15. #15Jim D2013-01-24 21:35

    fyrwood guy, (off topic) That looks like a good machine, and you a have very tidy and orderly operation. Kudos!

  16. #16fyrwood guy2013-01-25 09:59

    THANKS!...Jim D here's a couple of pic's of my latest addition to the firewood operation. i took my processor back to the mfg,to get it rewired and new push plate rehabed and new switches and controls for dashboard. it needed it,'twas gettin' a little wobbly,and the wires was starting to show their age. plus while there,got the end of the log infeed trough trimmed back about 1 1/2". blade "wobble" kept hitting the trough bolts when cutting less than 4" wood. second trip back since new in '86. when picking the processor new in '86 i used a gmc 454 4x4 4-speed manual...that was fun then. this new duramax is a really sweet ride,hauls nice on cruise control-out on 401 heading to ottawa!

  17. #17DB22020-08-26 19:01

    I bought my wife the top line Bose and I got the aforementioned Sonys for myself. Personally I believe the Sony has a better sound quality. Both seem pretty equal when it comes to noise cancellation. I use them riding the mower. I also have the Airpods but they pale in comparison to the full headphones.

  18. #18Nige2020-08-26 19:31

    #1 son bought me a pair of Bose QC 35 Series II headphones for my birthday. For airplane travel I rate them very highly.

  19. #19JD955SC2020-08-28 11:53

    I’ve used ANC when piloting light aircraft they are good for canceling out steady prop and engine noise but very spendy (Bose and a company called Lightspeed dominate the market for pilots headsets with ANC) For equipment the only thing I’ve seen used are well insulated cabs and earplugs for open cabs. When I was on a vol. fire department we had headsets on an intercom so the sirens didn’t kill your hearing and radio and interpersonel comms could continue.

  20. #20dozr2020-08-30 10:51

    i use 3m head phones on dozer just to have radio they are bought form northen tool cheap, do a fair job on noise, never thought about hearing but know that i dont hear good it is somwhat nice this bull that is going on i dont want to hear anyway. ha ha