I am looking to move up from FiFi Mack Renault CS200. Its setup to be a flatbed with load ramps and works well for one piece of equipment. The truck I am looking at is Class 7 Single Axle 1995 Volvo/WhiteGMC Day Cab with what is listed as a Cummins 300 engine in it with 10spd Fuller, Air Brakes & Pintle. Its currently got a flat bed dump on it. I'd like to pull a float/deckover behind it with my CAT 312B on it. The trailer weight empty is about 9,500 lbs and the 312B runs about 31-32,000lbs although I have not specifically weighed it. Being able to move the 312B is my biggest reason for looking at this truck. That puts the trailer/equipment combo around 42,000lbs and on top of that would be the prime mover Volvo/WhiteGMC. I'm in semi mountainous terrain of East Tennessee so there are some grades. Not moving everyday but often and I also have a Komatsu PC55 Mini and a TAK TL230 that I'd need to move more often. Questions are: 1) Can the Volvo handle this setup? 2) TAG it for what class? 3) What axle weight ratings do I need to be on the lookout for to keep from being overloaded on steers or drive? I'm not really interested in speed and do not care much about running 70+ as I generally run 5-10 MPH under posted freeway/highway speeds on purpose. I just more interested in knowing the truck can handle the trailer-312 combo on the safer side. Thanks to all.
That seems to be a lot of weight for a single axle.
I pull a 315 with a single axle with 330 hp isc cummins and 20 ton tag power is not a problem. It does it but not as well as my tractor and lowboy it has a real bumpy ride. The trailer should carry 34,000 on the tandems 20,000 on the rear axle of the truck and 10,000 on front axle for a combination weight of 64,000. Now getting it all balanced is a challange that is why if I am moveing far I just load on the tractor. That truck should handle it as far as I know those weights per axle are good in Tn but I would check and the rear of the truck is normally the first to be overloaded and the front never gets enough weight. I also think your weight is a little heavy on the 312 I thought they were about 28,000 depending on setup such as long undercarage wide pads thumb or extra counterweight. My single axle also has a 12'' ox dump on it.