Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Northwest Model 25 pullshovel

Dominion 410 ยท 2008-08-26 20:59

Like to know if anyone operated one of these.We still have one with all the attachments and I have become the caretaker of it.It's been in our business for fifty years.Also had a Bucyrus-Erie 30-B and a Dominion 410 both with yard and a quarter backhoe attachments.The Northwest is Cat D-318 powered,the others were Detroit 4-71 with air controls.Put a lot of pipe in the ground with those machines.

Replies7
  1. #1Buddy2008-09-01 19:16

    Northwest 25 Hi Dominoin Yes to your question. I have operated a Northwest with a pullshovel , in fact , I have one. My machine has a Detroit in it. I also have another Northwest 25 I am working on now. I am putting a shovel attachment on this machine. This machine has a Murphy engine .

  2. #2Dominion 4102008-09-03 21:03

    Model 25 Good luck on your Northwest projects Buddy.At present our machine has 40 feet of crane boom on it as it was on clam work in the last few years of it's productive days.There were quite a few around here at one time with the Model 25 and Model 41 mostly.There was a salvage yard with a Model 6 on magnet work also-it to was Murphy powered.I would like to re-install the pullshovel and try to dig with it someday.One of the original operators that ran it in the early sixties is willing to give some lessons .At the end of a day he said "A fellow was sure thirsty".Those long levers,brake pedals and nice seat(?) must have made for a long day in hard digging.It's started and serviced twice a year and have a 2 ton concrete weight that I used to keep it loosened up.Know a fellow who ran a Model 95 with a three and a half yard pullshovel on it.

  3. #3ctreay2014-08-22 17:32

    Pullshovel? I spent 10 years in the U.S. Navy Seabees as an equipment operator. I have operated a NW25 equipped with both draglines, clam shells, a shovel front and piledriver's. Also a NW6. I got out in 1962 and haven't seen one since. Our 25's had Detroit's and the 6 had a roaring pumpkin (Waukesha) Is what you call a pullshovel actually a dragline?

  4. #4mitch5042014-08-22 18:30

    I am guessing they are talking about a cable operated hoe front. :beatsme

  5. #5kshansen2014-08-22 19:28

    Did a Google search for pullshovel in Images and among others find this, says it's a Northwest 190D pull-shovel By the way I used to know a guy who was a long time NorthWest/Murphey Engine guy in the northeast US. He gave me some of the tools and a couple injectors. Need to remember to bring them home from work soon as I'm getting ready to retire in a few months. I know a couple years before he passed away he had a rebuilt four cylinder Murphey engine sitting in his garage he was trying to find someone who needed it

  6. #6lantraxco2014-08-22 20:23

    Sweet looking old girl! The older gals may not be as fast, or look as sexy, but they know stuff! LOL

  7. #7Buddy2014-08-22 22:03

    Glad you brought this old post back up again ctreay. Since my last post on this topic, I have added another model 25 Northwest to my collection. I have 3 model 25's now. Each has a different front. One with a pullshovel, one with a front shovel, and one with a drag line setup. I keep all 3 in running condition and inside out of the weather when not being played with . Kshansen, Sorry to hear about you friend. I myself have lost both of my close friends that were Northwest/Murphy mechanics. The guys that are still with us are getting some age on them now, and they have a wealth of information in their heads. When they are gone , that know how goes with them. I was pretty fortunate and was able to work close with my friends and I learned ALOT from them. Lord how I miss them both..