Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Not a crane operator, but some pics of our work with cranes in them

GrainBinMan ยท 2016-09-05 18:55

Somebody mentioned they would like to see more pictures. We don't have a crane, but use one somewhat frequently in our work.

Replies27
  1. #1GrainBinMan2016-09-05 19:14

    Some more pics. If you think this will get somebody some unwanted flak, I will take it down, but my son was thrilled he got to operate a crane before his dad, and a big one too! The site after it got dirty with use. Another site

  2. #2GrainBinMan2016-09-05 19:16

    Same site

  3. #3GrainBinMan2016-09-05 19:18

    Another place

  4. #4GrainBinMan2016-09-05 19:21

    I had to work too much this day so not many pics.

  5. #5GrainBinMan2016-09-05 19:24

    Couple years ago. Took us a little to figure out where to place the lifting straps so it balanced. So I don't have much of the crane, just shot the pic for future reference.

  6. #6GrainBinMan2016-09-05 19:28
  7. #7GrainBinMan2016-09-05 19:30

    Forgot I had these. Tornado damage/repair.

  8. #8td25c2016-09-05 20:31

    We grab the grain dryer's the same way . like you say takes a little trial & error to get them balanced . Very nice work GrainBinMan ! My boy is about the same age , they sure like being around equipment & tools .

  9. #9Knepptune2016-09-05 20:37

    Good looking work man. I've spent a lot of my life on those kind of jobs.

  10. #10GrainBinMan2016-09-06 04:50

    Thank you. It depends on what I'm doing that day as to what my son wants to do when he grows up. One day he told me he will do all the concrete work for me. Then another day he wants to be a farmer. Or maybe he will run a bin building crew. I guess time will tell.

  11. #11GrainBinMan2016-09-06 04:52

    Thank you. We have a fair amount of competition, so if we don't do it very well, there are other options. Everybody is a little hungry this year. Of course fall is busy, but we aren't booked out quite as far as sometimes.

  12. #12Impact2016-09-06 05:22

    Same type of work I've done all my life. The only reason I don't still punch bolts like I used to, is I'm too damn old. Yup,those farm dryers are tough to rig.

  13. #13Knocker of rock2016-09-06 10:42

    How big is that red hydraulic crane? You don't see them transporting the boom separately until they get real big around here.

  14. #14GrainBinMan2016-09-06 16:53

    The reason I don't push bolts, is because it is too boring. There is a couple crews around here that only build bins, so we sub that work to them. Interesting thing about the dryer is that is not where the book told us to lift it. I always thought the book was right.

  15. #15GrainBinMan2016-09-06 16:55

    I want to say 210 ton, but i will would have to look up the bill. Right now I'm riding back to the shop. Edit: It was Grove. I didn't think to get a picture of the model number. Red is that outfits company color.

  16. #16Knocker of rock2016-09-06 23:17

    210 tons is on the small side for having to dump the boom to be road legal. Most cranes here would dump the lump onto a flatbed to accomplish becoming road legal if that, most can get legal with boosters and a boom dolly.

  17. #17GrainBinMan2016-09-30 17:24

    A couple more pics.

  18. #18GrainBinMan2016-09-30 17:26

    That was a 225 ton. I just looked it up. This was in reply to Knocker of rock.

  19. #19GrainBinMan2016-09-30 17:36

    Same project. It was cloudy the second day, so couldn't get as nice of photos as what I like. The crane was a Link-Belt HTC8690.

  20. #20Mark132016-09-30 19:17

    Cool pictures! I've hauled some grain bin equipment in the past but never stuck around to deal with putting it up. That's quite the shop in the last series of pictures, the blue really makes it stand out. I think the sprayer operator on that farm must get paid by the mile, tracks all over the place through those fields!

  21. #21Bumpsteer2016-09-30 20:53

    Nice! Pretty country where your at. Like the airplane hanger doors on the shop. Looks like the farmer was filling the one bin while you worked... Ed

  22. #22CM19952016-09-30 20:58

    Nice looking 953 or 963 (hard to tell) with interesting sweeps.

  23. #23crane operator2016-09-30 21:53

    Some guys spot girls, some spot nice harleys. Classic cars, chromed out peterbilts, or a huge antlered deer. But there's got to be a special category for guys who spot trackloaders.:tong

  24. #24GrainBinMan2016-10-01 17:01

    It was built for an airplane. Haven't seen the airplane, but so the farm manager said. Yes he was filling the bin.

  25. #25GrainBinMan2016-10-01 17:04

    Couldn't tell you. Farm manager said it was a rental machine. They had everything graded up real nice.

  26. #26GrainBinMan2016-10-01 17:07

    Yes, I noticed that too. I wonder if he ran through the beans when they were too tall. The tracks around the guy posts are ones we made. The farm owner told us to work on that side of the posts, because that is actually a public road, and the property owner on back was complaining about his right-of-way being blocked.

  27. #27GrainBinMan2016-10-01 17:14

    I never noticed who had grain elevators and bins, until I was in the business. In fact I was visiting with a farmer and asked him when he put up his elevator. He said that's been there for 30+ years. I'd went past his place several times and never noticed it.