I have a 1989 Mack Midliner MS200P and I am having a problem getting the cab tilting latch to release. The directions say to push the latch handle up to release the main latch and then pull down to release the safety catch. When I push up, nothing happens. When I bought the truck a few years ago the seller was able to unlatch the cab to show me the engine but since then I have been unable to get the latch to release the cab. Is anyone here familiar with this model of Mack truck made by Renault who can give me some clues as to what I can try to release this main cab latch? Is there any sort of safety release mechanism tied to the handbrake being properly set or other safety measures I should look into? I need to be able to change the oil on the truck but if I cannot unlatch the cab all my maintenance plans are at a stand-still. Thanks -- Steve
I've done it on a "mack" but can't remember the specifics. I don't remember it being unusual, or counterintuitive. Yours might be rusty and stiff. If you can't get a view of the mechanism to figure out what's going on, then I'd spray down the mechanism with soapy water, wiggle, jiggle and keep trying till it comes loose. If there's not two handles then I'd guess you have to lift and pull, or lift and twist. Lifting only doesn't sound right, too easy to come loose accidentally.
IF memory serves me correctly.. You have to pull down on the cab while releasing the mechanism.. Its spring loaded UP.. so if you pull down on the cab it has a better chance to release.
If I recall the Hino I had was like that. Release the lever then pull the cab down to release the safety lever.
If you haven't been in the engine compartment in a few years, why start now? Just kidding. I found this online: That is the midliner MS 200 or 300 yes gear shift in neutral , get handle out of safety clasp, push up on it this will release the latch then push up on the cab,, and pull the handle down to tilt little tip , open both doors ,makes it easier to tilt,
I would venture to guess the torsion bar may have failed. Have a buddy hang off the windscreen drip rail, see if that helps. It also helps to have both doors open against tethers. It shifts center of gravity forward. Good luck
Second having the doors open. Usually there is some kind of safety or secondary latch. We have some Ford Sterling Cargos and the latches sieze over time. Generally a 5 foot bar on each side gets them to release.
When I worked for Mack these were a fairly new game, MAGIRUS chassis trucks from somewhere other than the US. Some from Brazil others from France and others yet somewhere else. No consistency, and yes door open to get to swing up, if the latch itself is not moving then linkage has broken in the mechanism.
Lift the lever; there is no responding sound, but you can now pry the cab off the lock. Once you have the cab lifted a little, push the lever down to move the hook out of the way. You might have to pry the hook itself in order to clear. Even with the doors open, you may need help to tilt the cab up. For my part, I am wondering how to ensure the gearshift lever reengages properly when I lower the cab back down.
Ha! Finally figured out my shift linkage reengagement problem today: at the transmission, push the shift lever forward, and in the cab, also push the shift lever forward (it pivots under the floor, so that forward on the shift lever moves the transmission lever back). This engages the spring-loaded lever (outside the shifter tube) into the recess, so the shifting lever can move effectively in any direction. Wishing all you Midliner folks the best of luck
Wow, I had completely forgotten that detail with the shift mechanism.
Could someone explain me in more detail about the gear shifter position to be able to change gears after tilting the cab?