Trying to clean up any stray wires/hoses today I removed this, I have no idea what it is? It had a switch on the dash but no power to it anymore, the air line was already disconnected, and I noticed the lines went by the turbo to some sort of lever thing? The truck had a plow on it at one point and still has some things here and there front that but I have no idea what this was for? Should I remove more or just cap the hoses off? The two cut off hoses in the first picture went to the thing in the second picture.
Can't see enough in the first photo but the second is a air solenoid that was controlled by switched power. What type of engine? Exhaust brake at one time?
I’ll play along. I suspect it had a exhaust brake installed at some point.
Some plow trucks were fitted with a door to draw air from under the hood to prevent filling the filter with snow. Had one on a Mack that was air operated.
It's a Cat 3406B with engine brake, but engine brake has always worked and still works with this removed. It is right after the turbo, seems odd but maybe they had an exhaust brake even though it has a engine brake already? This is the only other picture I got, will have to try and take a better one.
It’s possible. Especially, on a truck of that vintage. Who knows what may have been done to it over the years. I’ve seen log trucks in North Idaho set up that way back in the old days.
It would be easier to use, as the engine brake is the type where you have to hold the switch to use it, so it's a pain.
Depending on where it was used-around a city-quite. Also has less tendency of locking drive wheels killing the engine.