Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Now I Need Mats

Danny Steel ยท 2010-10-13 17:48

I may be working near or In the creek, And I was thinking of making 2 mats that I can move around with my 3 tonner Any tips or sugestions on what will work?? I was thinking of 4x4 or 6x6 PT Lumber, And use angle Iron and bolts to hold It together Thanks Danny

Replies2
  1. #1xcmark2010-10-13 18:15

    All of the mats I have seen are tied togeather with wire rope with holes drilled threw the timber. Railroad ties or some type of hard wood would be better then PT. PT will break up in a short time. a mat 6'x6' is going to be heavy not sure if the machine would pull it out of the mud , any one comment?

  2. #2stumpjumper832010-10-14 00:36

    I'd use some ruff cut hardwood, oak and locust prefered. With a 6k mini, 3x6's would work laid flat, the big stuff uses 8x8, but thats a d-8 or a 200 class hoe, not a mini. I'd drill them and bolt them together, or maybe weld them together. leave a notch at both ends to make them easier to handle.