Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ntc 290?

IH4070B78 · 2022-01-23 19:29

Just picked up a IH 4070b. Has a cummins 290. But it has a cummins 350 pump on it?? Was this common? As a replacement? Upgrade?

Replies27
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-01-23 19:45

    No---Is that what's stamped on the tag on top of the pump? There should be a CPL number stamped in it too, along with a pump code. If it does have a NTC 350 pump-either someone put that on because they had it and didn't want to spend the cash to rebuild the 290 pump or they were looking for power. In any case-I would have that pump recalibrated for the 290 CPL and set at 10% over on fuel which will only raise rail psi a small amount but will be safe on that engine. Rebuilt or recalibrated pump prices range from $450 to $795 for a complete rebuild. As Nige would say---YMMV.

  2. #2IH4070B782022-01-23 19:56

    Thanx for the info. Heres the numbers

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-01-23 20:00

    Are you sure the engine is a 290?

  4. #4Truck Shop2022-01-23 20:07

    I take it that it has no jakes. Plus that's a early style pump.

  5. #5IH4070B782022-01-23 20:09

    Front engine cover tag says ntc 290. Small cam

  6. #6IH4070B782022-01-23 20:10

    No jakes

  7. #7IH4070B782022-01-23 20:12
  8. #8Truck Shop2022-01-23 20:13

    Get the pump recalibrated, Small cams didn't really like higher rail psi. It's the reason that big cams came along.

  9. #9mekanik2022-01-23 20:14

    Does it have an intake manifold or an aftercooler? Can you post a picture of both sides of the engine including the front of the oil cooler?

  10. #10Truck Shop2022-01-23 20:15

    Is this IH a 1978? Should be a big cam.

  11. #11IH4070B782022-01-23 20:22

    It’s actually a 77

  12. #12Truck Shop2022-01-23 20:24

    Big Cams started in 1976 Big Cam I, take a photo of the left side of block so we can see the cam followers. please.

  13. #13IH4070B782022-01-23 21:30
  14. #14Truck Shop2022-01-23 22:10

    Small cam, aftercooled. Had to be a left over or a fleet ordered clearance.

  15. #15IH4070B782022-01-24 05:47

    Ok. Thanx for the info. I’m sure I’ll be back soon.

  16. #16mekanik2022-01-24 08:10

    Its a small cam with an aftercooler. Its not likely a 290 someone probably rebuilt it and made a 350 out of it.

  17. #17IH4070B782022-01-24 09:19

    Because of the aftercooler and fuel pump?

  18. #18Truck Shop2022-01-24 16:48

    The problem with Old 855 Cummins is to many people working on them that don't match parts on a CPL. It could still be a 290 that someone changed it to after cooled or who knows what. Until you know what pistons it has and cam timing it's all a guess. People pulled pumps, injectors and aftercooled engines with parts from dead ones all the time. I don't trust any of them unless I get into it and check some numbers. I've got one I'm just finishing that was a **** show from one end to the other. Wrong pistons, wrong turbo, wrong liner shims, 30% over fueled and so on.

  19. #19mekanik2022-01-24 16:54

    Don't forget cam timing. A mix match of parts and no power and hard to start. Its amazing what people did.

  20. #20IH4070B782022-01-24 18:15

    That sucks. Like i said. I’m sure i will be back plenty. Thanx again.

  21. #21mekanik2022-01-24 18:26

    I would not say it sucks. I built/upgraded lots of 855 Cummins. They worked well if done right. Could you post a picture of the oil cooler?

  22. #22IH4070B782022-01-24 20:08

    Best I could get right now

  23. #23Truck Shop2022-01-24 20:45

    To add-Friend who runs injection shop locally-about every third set of injectors brought in don't match.

  24. #24Truck Shop2022-01-24 20:52

    One other to add-that after cooler is a tin top tank-not cast aluminum.

  25. #25IH4070B782022-01-24 22:14

    Tin top vs cast?

  26. #26mekanik2022-01-24 22:47

    The NTC 350 aftercooler had a cast aluminum top housing the stamped steel top was from the big cam engine. A cost saving measure I suspect.

  27. #27Truck Shop2022-01-25 07:11

    Big cam aftercoolers supposedly had better flow, the 475 twin turbo was for sure a higher flow.