Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NTC 290 PT Fuel Pump 855 3500D

birdwatcher ยท 2013-11-17 20:18

I must have an obstruction somewhere. I added a fuel transfer pump and I cant get fuel out the top of the pump even with it turning over and the Transfer Pump Running. I checked out the little screen in the top too. Its was clean. I loosened the Electric fuel shut off solenoid so it should have been shooting fuel everywhere. Would it be safe to blow in a bit of air or am I subject to damageing something else in there? Also what if I just changed the pump. I got one that come off of a working engine a couple years ago. It seems to turn ok. If I just change the pumps, and the one I put on is OK, are there any sprecial adjustments thats gotta be done or should it run OK? Any help from you experienced lopers will be appericated. Oh Yea, 1979 Astro 95 GMC Single Axle. Also need a door latch, drivers side..... Thanks, Birdwatcher North Carolina

Replies1
  1. #1tdcrash632013-11-22 21:01

    There is a thumb screw on the side of the solenoid. Turning it in will bypass the electrical part of the solenoid. If you have the outlet line off the pump and have a full filter and good fuel supply to the pump you should get fuel out the top of the pump. If not you could remove the fuel transfer pump from the rear of the pump. If a piece of dirt or debrie gets into the pump it may lodge between the gears in the transfer pump and will shear off the shaft, It is milled down in one spot so that it will twist off and not damage the main part of the fuel pump. 4 allen head bolts and it pulls out of the rear of the pump. If this is your failure you could take the one from your other pump and install it just be sure to tighten the fasteners evenly taping on the pump as you tighten it the can bind up easily even though it is doweled together.