Hi, Folks. I found this little jigger tucked away in the 'backblocks' of the Gold Coast hinterland last week. Unlike the other one that I posted photos of earlier this year, this one looks to be a 'runner'. In fact, it look almost as if somebody cares for it. LOL. I could not get close enough to positively ID it but I'd guess at it being another HD6.
I could use a nice little machine like this to keep our access roads and quad trails open and graded...if we could afford it.
Hi Deas: That is not an HD6 with the Buda engine, its an HD5 with a wee tiny Detroit screamer under the hood. It does look to be in halfway decent shape. I've never seen one with the track frame mounted blade hydraulics. They usually had hard nose mounted gear.
Not up on Allis Models Hi, Pushblock. I'm not what you'd call a full bottle on ID-ing the various Allis models. I've seen very little of them in my wanderings. I can usually figure it out if I can get close enough and can find a badge or serial number plate on it. LOL. I can't remember either what year AC switched from using 'screamin' Jimmys' to using Buda engines but they eventually bought Buda out and started producing their own(?) engines in the Buda factory. The HD6 that I posted photos of earlier, see Little Lost Allis, has an Allis Chalmers diesel in it.
Hi Deas: It was in 1955 that AC switched over to the Buda designed engines. There was also a change in sheet metal to accomodate a larger radiator. The HD5 pictured does not have the slope from radiator top to firewall that the later HD6 has. I have operated HD6s and found them to be a robust little tractor and much quieter than the 2-71 Detroit powered HD5. The only way you could get max torque out of the Detroit was to run full throttle which was a noisy experience to say the least.
Not much time on AC's Hi, Pushblock. I don't have a lot of time on AC's. I only got to park my butt on one HD16A, stick shift, cable blade, DD LeTourneau winch. I liked operating it and it would outclimb the 3T D7's that I was used to at the time. I spent some time pushing over truckloads of shot rock fill - now that's an art with a cable blade - some time stockpiling bush gravel in a gravel pit, breaking it out of a laterite ledge with the corner of the blade and pushing it up onto a bench about 6 feet above. That was where I learned how well the jigger could climb, especially with a loaded blade , I also spent some time knocking over truckloads of dirt fill and compacting it with a drawn double drum sheepsfoot roller. The thing I liked most about it at the time though was that it got most of the odd jobs 'cos it was easier to float than the HD21's, D8's and D9's. They'd float it fifty miles or so to do a one-day job and float it back that night. Often, I didn't even have to take my car, just ride both ways with the float. Scored a couple of Sunday jobs that way too and the extra cash was always helpful. That was in 1965. I might go back and tackle the owner of the 'Little Lost Allis' and see if it's worth any less to him now, whether he's got his feet back down on THIS planet yet.