The other day a Mack Granite dump passed me in the opposite direction and it was carrying NYS DOT colors!! This took me by surprise because IH has had the state bid for over 10 years for DOT trucks. I swung by the DOT yard and sure enough there were 6 new trucks parked out back. NY hasn't used Macks since the mid 70s! Here's a few shots:
As you see, one truck is equipped with a funnel plow, the rest are power angle plows. One has a double wing set up. The plows and sanders are by Henderson Mfg. out of Iowa. Sanders are stainless with a wet treatment.
Here's the hydraulically driven liquid pump and the familiar door art.
The cab was locked and I couldn't get a glare free shot of the interior. All auxillary switches are built in to the dash at the factory, a real clean installation. They have sticks, but I couldn't see what tranny it was. Pretty impressive trucks!!
Now that Mack started the Granite series they offer better options. I heard people are having troubles with the new Mack engines. As for the brine solution used the enviromentalist don't want rock salt used anymore so for us here in B.C. its all the hwys dept uses is that liquid crap. The stuff sticks to everything and rusts your car out faster than anything else. We have two Granite tandem axle dumps and 4 Granite Mixers seem to be good trucks. Those Macks probably are running 8 spds but if you go to Mack's webite it shows whats available for the single axle Granites.
NYS uses straight salt, no sand. I'm not sure what the wetting agent they use is, probably something to make the salt work at colder temperatures. I'll have to look into it further.
Very nice. Too bad I haven't seen any out by me yet.
Actually, if they're using just salt brine, it's the same chemical that's always been used, just applied in a different form. They're eliminating one step of the de-icing process, trying to get better results faster. As for the other types of liquids other than calcium chloride, they are less corrosive than salt. Those are some sweet looking trucks, Steve. I'd still love to have one. Just not the payments. :spaz
It seems like IH has been losing ground with lots of the Muni's that had been their bread and butter for so long. Ever since I can remember our state and county trucks have all been IH, but now I've started to see some Sterlings in the MD fleet. I know that Pete has been going after the Medium duty market hard with the new lineup (330, 335 and 340) I guess that Mack is too. Those Granites look good and I bet the drivers feel like hot stuff in them!
Around here the munis run just about anything! It really depends on the town and even then you will see a mack and peterbilt together, ext.
The biggest benefit of the Macks is they run a engine that has JAKE brake capability the Macks are pretty much a tandem axle with the one axle chopped off. The local highways dept used to run 4800 series single axle Western Star they were M-11 power 9spd those trucks could haul a good load they ran out of braking power. They were tandem spec'ed trucks with a single axle. Ford used to build a good muni truck the L-8000 or L-9000 single axle with L-10 Cummins power Fuller transmission behind it. Years ago the highways dept used to use the 33,000lb gvw single axle Internationals with the 466 power with 5+2 gearing worked okay but never could handle a load like the Western Stars or the L-8000 Fords. I really wished Pete and Kenworth offered better engines in the 5 ton single axle trucks the little displacement engines just don't cut it. You really do need a engine that has JAKE brake capability not a sissy exhaust brake. They really need to offer the Cummins ISM or the Cat C-11 or C-13 not a C-7. The reason why the enviromentalist want the liquid brine is it doesn't stick around it disapates quicker. Also the price of rock salt is pushing 250-300 dollars a ton.
Our State has always bought trucks with Cummins in them, either the L9000 Ford or the IH 6 wheeler. Both have been equipped with Jakes. The locals use the Ford L8000 and 466 powered IH. A friend of mine is a local highway super, and he's documented repair costs of IH vs. Mack. The IH trucks cost about $3 to $5K less than the Mack, but repair costs are over triple. Down time is much less for the Mack too. He bought 4 Granites this past year, two 4x4. The town I sub to runs 466 powered IH almost exclusively. They have a couple old FWDs, one old Cummins Paystar with driven front axle. All the new 4x4s are IH 4400s with the 466 and 10 speeds. Every storm there are 2 in the shop down for the count.
:Cowboy You better smile when you say that, pilgrim!:Cowboy I happen to have one of them "little displacement engines" with that "sissy exhaust brake" in a S/A Pete that absolutely DOES cut it! What the hell do you think you want to haul in/behind a single axle that needs a C-13!?!
Why a C-13 in a single axle? That's easy, he wants to make a sleeper for embarassing the punks with their loud civics:bouncegri
You can never have enough power plus for pulling 10-11% grades plus you want a good holding JAKE because singles do lack braking power decending the same grades with 7 ton in the box. Cat doesn't make a inbettween motor anymore the 3306 was a perfect 300hp engine. Most singles are powered with the L-10 or M-11 Cummins both fairly decent engines in single axles. Exhaust brakes don't do much for 10% grades its why I think Paccar should offer a engine that has a true engine brake something that will lock up the wheels if not carefull. One of the truck drivers I know had a single axle Pete with a N-14 Cummins 400hp the truck pulled good the JAKE had a good bark too. The single axle Western Stars I meantioned you forgot they were single axle trucks untill you took a corner too fast.
Yea the N14 always barked.....I couldn't believe how much ours did...
The trucks with a loud JAKE is the Series 60 Detroits (big block). The days are gone now with the noisy exhaust pipes with the new emmissions engines. Alot of people buying 06 trucks the new trucks are bad news and expensive.
Steve, if you remember, and speak with someone in the know, ask them what has been the most troublesome problems with those Internationals. I'm just curious. Also, have you heard any feedback on the Mack engines and drivetrains in the newer trucks, post03? I'm wondering how they did with the new emission controls. Many of the other engine brands have had issues in these areas already.
The brake on our 2003 475hp 60series Sutphen fire engine is ALOT louder than the brake on our 92 400hp Autocar 60series engine. We have a International 2006 tractor that has an Allison Auto. Its not the noise, but the 6th gear to 2cnd downshift that happens when you engage the brake that about made me crap in my pants when I drove it bobtail to the dealer.
I came across a video on youtube that has one of these trucks in a parade. I didn't shoot the video, the truck is at the very end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxM_qUGWoNc&feature=related
The PA DOT has had tandem Granites for a couple years now. Most of them have a right side wing plow installed for snow plowing. The biggest complaint is the trucks are under powered when plowing snow. The older macks have more power, but lack the comfort of the granites. Merry Christmas, Telescooper
the govt's buy whatever truck dealer kicks up the most money to their party...
I've seen on the news where that's how things worked in Jersey for a while and some politicians are going to prison for it. In NY the award goes to the low bidder.
Nice to be the gov Those trucks would last a private contractor at least 10 yrs. not the gov.! They can wreck trucks & you can't fire them! If you take big campaign funds they expect something in return. it happens in NY too!
NYS generally puts heavy trucks out to auction after 15 years of service, pickups after 10 years service. Are you involved in NYS procurement kamerad?
Steve No I'm not but You should know how it goes!! go by your Gov. yard & see if you can find a truck older than a 1998 It's rare!
Hi I'm new to this site but I have a question about plow and sander trucks. Why do most cities and towns spec their trucks with automatic transmission vs. the manual? If an automatic usually costs more to be spec'd, what is the purpose? :beatsme Thank you!
The rates that some municipalities pay their employees often don't attract the best drivers, automatics are easier to drive than standard transmission trucks. The transmissions in heavy trucks are far more complicated than those in cars and require some skill to drive properly. Unfortunately that skill seems to be slowly disappearing. More and more trucks today are spec'd with automatics, as the reliability of those transmissions has improved through the years as well.
Welcome to the site Calhoonie!!:drinkup I'm gonna take a guess at them spec'n the auto's because they don't have a break in the power while shifting (power is always at the wheels during acceleration), which if you're pushing alot of snow may be important. That's just my guess, but I had an L8000 dumptruck with a funnel plow, and when I was plowing ALOT of snow keeping the power on was important, plus I was trying to pay attention to mailboxs, etc while driving, so not having to worry about shifting was nice with the auto. No( well less anyways )distractions. That may be the wrong reason, but it's my guess.:beatsme
How many points did you lose if ya left one standing? Wait I got another one: Did somebody get a box of grade stakes in the mail? :falldownlaugh Calhoonie, what Steve and Jeff said are right on, plus the auto is generally easier on the rest of the drivetrain too. The theory is to pay more upfront, and pay less in repairs over the life of the truck.
Thanks! I can understand that! I'm still in high school but I can't wait until I'm old enough to get my cdl!
something was mentiong about the troubles w/ the new mack motors the biggest problem is VO**O Ya put a D series VO**O Motor & a MP Series Mack motor its the same motor Give me a E6 & E7 Mack motor over the new MP Series motor later yall Bulldog