Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NYS Overweight permit

nedly05 ยท 2008-04-15 18:34

I was asked today about getting a permit on a tandem with 20 ftrs and 44 rrs,187" wheelbase and a 14' box. I know that it can be done, but I didnt know what channels need to be taken. What is the office to contact regarding overweight permits?The phone #?, Is there a website? anything to expedite the process? what do you need to have when you apply for the permit? Thanks for any info you can pass along.

Replies4
  1. #1BIGDAN3152008-04-15 21:48

    I have used custom permits.com and was faxed a temperary the same day. Good luck...

  2. #2Steve Frazier2008-04-15 21:57

    I've been away from it a while, but last I knew the only way to get a permit was to buy an existing one, the State wasn't offering any more. I know that guys would buy used trucks with permits just to get the permit, then transfer it to their own truck. I also thought they were being phased out, that the permits had less and less overweight value until everyone would be on the same level.

  3. #3nedly052008-04-16 05:19

    If you think about it, it's a bit rediculous. The state charges you $350 to carry what the truck was designed to carry. SO this particular truck is built to carry 18 T but without the permit only can carry 15 T. Just more red tape!

  4. #4BIGDAN3152008-04-18 20:35

    I agree but also another way for the state to get there hands in your pockets :Banghead