Howdy, I've recently acquired my first machine that uses ORB (a bobcat skid steer). I like to have a cap and plug kit on hand for when eventual repairs happen. All the kits I'm finding online only have ORB plugs (male thread), with no caps. Why is this? Where can I find female caps? All the other kits I have for orfs, jic, bspp include caps and plugs.
ORB is same thread as JIC, I should say standard thread not metric or Komatsu. It wouldn’t be a super tight seal but you could slow it down or keep crud out with a JIC cap.
I would think tapered plastic plugs would suit your needs, right? You're just looking to keep filth out of the hose end?
Buy unions (coupling) and plugs
You're Bobcat has JIC fittings on the hoses and the adapters in the valves and such are ORB. You just need JIC plugs and caps. If you do have to remove an adapter from a valve you can simply stick a JIC plug in it as they use the same SAE thread
I've never seen an ORB cap before, they might not even exist. Kind of pointless since you'll usually have to take the line off the fitting anyways. The vast majority of crimped hoses don't have swivel ends crimped on. Just cap/plug the open connection and if the fitting is in the way, just remove it and plug the port. Easy enough to clean out the ORB adapter fitting before you reinstall it.
BTW, for those ORB fittings, you're going to need 900 series o-rings, such as 568-904, 568-906. If you use any other o-ring than 900 series they will fail
Never knew that always got by part number from cat I may go buy a few.
Link for 900 series o-ring kit. > McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day. www.mcmaster.com
You the man!!!!
The thing about McMaster-Carr, at least in my area, they have several DC's, one in Georgia just south of me. I order from them quite frequently as their price is typically better than Grainger, and I usually have it the next morning without having to use next day freight. And the best part, seems it don't matter what I order, the shipping is always like $8.50. Hell, even if a supplier here in town has something I need I can't send a "gopher" to go pick it up in a company truck and bring it back for 8 bucks and fiddy cent!
Mmc is my go to for stuff I can't get around town. Dad always said there where high on price but I think there fair enough considering they have it and I'll have it in 2 business 99 percent of the time
Get on Ebay and search "o-ring boss cap plug kit" and some full kits should come up. You might want to compare with Amazon, too. You should be able to score a decent kit for $50-$75. I keep a kit on my truck and one at the shop. I've also got other kits for other fitting types. Mess Stopper kits are also one of the greatest plug ideas going.
I've been working with this stuff for near 40 years, have plug/cap kits for all manner of fittings, except DIN. I mean, damn, already have enough plugs and caps, but then get to working with DIN, that stuff makes things double as they come in low pressure and high pressure, different diameter and threads for the same tube size. No, I ain't adding two more boxes of kit to cover them. LoL
I hear you. The Menzi is some DIN and some BSPP and the only machine I have with that oddball stuff. Mess Stoppers work great and fit just about everything!
ORB caps are on the same aisle as the brass magnets and Sasquatch de-wormer, at the farm store. They all defy the laws of nature. Samsquanch might be real. IDK ?
My eyes must be deceiving me. I don’t see any full kits of both caps and plugs for ORB on either eBay or Amazon. I searched hosewarehouse for oring boss cap and nothing comes up, so I’m guessing they don’t exist. I know jic is the same thread, but I doubt the caps will have the right chamfer to hold high pressure. Yes it’s mostly just to keep the hoses and components clean, although it has been useful sometimes to be able to run a machine with something disconnected and be able to cap and plug everything so it won’t leak.
About the best you will do is get a few of these put a plug in one end and use it like a cap
I guess that I must be using JIC caps if I've ever capped off ORB lines. I mis-read the ORFS for ORB and thought I had ORB caps. I must not own any so I need to own up to that fact. This thread chart https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/Fitting-Thread-Chart-s/1934.htm explains it.
There’s a really good reason why there are only male plugs. All the females are in the valves. Where would you find a need for a female cap?
Is it possible he is confusing orb with orfs?
I was skimming the manual for the t740 I bought and I seem to remember it saying the fittings were o-ring boss. If yall are saying the cylinders use JIC, I'll be happy as I already have loads of plugs/caps for that!
ORB is common on components like pumps, motors, cylinders etc. Its not often you're going to see hoses with crimped on ORB male fittings. The vast majority of the time the component is going to have an adapter fitting threaded in to it to go from the female ORB in the component to a male JIC or male ORFS.
ORB is the most common way where there must be a 90 that has to be oriented properly.
Yes, ORBS are mostly used on valve bodies.