Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Objective Differences in Control Types

RockyHillRanch · 2019-04-02 09:53

Howdy Y'all, Will be buying a new to me skid steer in the coming weeks to help me not die doing this ranch work. I have the ability to operate any of the control types (although i prefer iso). However, being a small ranch owner, a lot of my decisions are based on reliability and cost rather than comfort. If one control method is superior reliability or less parts to break, or cheaper parts to replace, then i'll just get used to the controls to run the machine. So with that being said, what are the objective differences between the control types regarding reliability, cost of parts, etc. I appreciate it.

Replies5
  1. #1phil3142019-04-02 13:26

    You are talking about control pattern here. I think that is mostly just a preference. Control type (mechanical, hydraulic, electrical) might be more relevant to some of the questions your asking. But even then, most of the system used now have been fairly ironed out and are all reliable. Sure you get the occasional issues when a manufacture changes something, but that's a reflection on the implementation, not the technology. I just went through a lot of this thinking when I was looking for a new machine. Most of it (styles, type) can be argued both way - good & bad. In the end, I bought what I like/wanted, because it makes me happy ever time I use it.

  2. #2John C.2019-04-07 11:30

    Just make sure you stay away from manual control linkages for these machines. Hydraulic pilots are the only way to go. Manual linkages wear out making operation of the machine jerky and sometimes dangerous when they won't return to neutral. You can usually change the patterns on hydraulic pilots pretty easily to your liking.

  3. #3KSSS2019-04-07 21:33

    Well if your looking for a machine that you can work on when something goes wrong, it is mechanical. There are a couple different types of mechanical, there is the true mechanical where you are functioning the valve yourself, there are also servo controlled. I am not sure if anyone does this anymore, but CASE used this system in the XT and 400 series machines. It allows for less effort of the controls and no kick back when turning on asphalt or hard ground. I have had 10 of those types of machines and only one did I have to replace any components on. I traded out prior to 3K so may be what John is saying occurs beyond that, but even if it does, replacing the parts can be done by practically anyone. I like pilots, they are effortless and they don't often fail but they do leak and if something does go wrong they will cost more to fix. EH gives you the ability to change patterns, adjust speed of the various functions. I prefer EH, but again I don't keep them forever. I like the ability to put an operator in a machine and regardless of what pattern he is used to, hit a button and there you go (this is not standard on all machines but it is an option on the machines that don't offer a pattern changer as standard). The downside of course with EH is cost of parts and you usually need a dealer mechanic to do the work. Depending on what needs to be done, the machine has to be recaliberated and of course the dealer is the keeper to that. I had some handles replaced on a 2011 machine and have had 3 machines since and have yet to have an issue. So much of the teething issues seem to be worked out. I think that applies to all OEMs. The issues were more with the suppliers of the EH components than the OEMs themselves. You say comfort isn't an issue, but some machines have ridiculously heavy controls. Given your position, pilots are probably a good compromise. If you want to be sure you can do it all repairs yourself I would go with the servo, they really are good.

  4. #4NW.Wisc.guy2019-04-18 20:57

    When you say true mechanical is that what I’d have on my 05 Case 430? It looks like there’s rods and levers IIRC going to the hydraulic valve. I’m new to the machine and I have gobs to learn yet.

  5. #5KSSS2019-04-18 21:06

    Yes your machine is a servo machine