Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Odd Caterpillar D-6

micbare ยท 2009-03-20 23:35

I ran across these pictures on machinary trader. I don`t think i have seen a bulldozer converted to a rubber tired machine. Has any one else had any dealings with something like this. In the ad it was called a sugar babe. I think they pull sugar cane wagons with it. :beatsme

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies19
  1. #1JoeinTX2009-03-20 23:56

    Caterpillar built a few of these in the late 1940s/early 1950s (?) as specialty tow tractors for specific customers........seems like the impetus for the idea was a request by Ringling Bros. Circus for a more powerful tired tractor than they could buy from the ag manufacturers at the time and a more mobile tractor than the conventional tracked machine or some such. I know there are others on this board who'll have all of the info but this is the first one I've seen for sale in a looooong time.

  2. #2Allen662009-03-21 00:09

    where does that exhaust pipe stop? lol

  3. #3cat 3852009-03-21 08:47

    if that uses steering clutches to steer I'll bet that thing can trow you around a bit,especially on pavement.

  4. #4Komatsu 1502009-03-21 10:08

    I've read somewhere on this forum that Ringling wanted it to pull railroad cars on sidings and trying to cross a railroad track and then line up a tracked machine would be a mess.

  5. #5CAT D9H2009-03-21 14:41

    i would imagine that would be interesting to operate , it'd be a wild ride

  6. #6Rusted2009-03-21 20:43

    That's a DW6B, based on a D6B tractor. About 150 or so were built in the early 60's.

  7. #7surfer-joe2009-03-21 22:54

    I saw one sitting in the weeds in Northern California last summer, near Sacramento I believe, probably used in the rice fields originally. I have seen these in the distant past pulling sugarbeet wagons near Saginaw, Michigan, up in Turbo's country.

  8. #8334 lawn co2009-03-22 02:27

    oh man- you dont see those too often. last time i sawone, well , it was on here. a year or so back i think....

  9. #9d4c24a2009-03-22 04:05

    youtube here is a clip of one on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L4BhdSP5Bk&feature=related enjoy cheers graham

  10. #10Taylortractornu2009-03-22 05:09

    I saw on a bout 2 months back in a Classic Plant and machinery Im subscrbed to. It was at a show in I think Holland. It had a cable pan behind it. I know a fellow that saw one used years ago up nrth working a sheeps foot and a pan. His also had a littl knock down blade. They also made one for a D2 I think a collector would snap that tractor up in a hurry.

  11. #11JDOFMEMI2009-03-22 19:53

    It looks very similar to the LeTourneau Wheel dozers of the 40's to the 60's, right down to the skid steer turning.

  12. #12ronnie2009-03-27 08:22

    the power unit looks like the 1's used when you pull a scraper

  13. #13Knucklehead2009-03-28 02:43

    It can be a ROUGH ride, if not done properly. It really helps to have a PAT blade!!! When not done properly, it can break windows, if you got them.

  14. #14GreenWannabe2009-04-03 02:19

    The machine was also used for a test bed during development of the Challenger tractor line, I believe. Caterpillar also provided another four-wheeled tractor to the military, the 830M, which was used to pull towed scrapers. The engine was in the front, and I think it was very similar in design to one og their wheel loaders of the day. Shepherd Machinery in LA sold a number of the 830M tractors, and advertised them pretty heavily there.

  15. #15D5G2009-04-03 13:51

    Very cool! I have never seen anything like that before.

  16. #16Jt13speed2009-04-22 12:54

    That thing is awesome! I cant really tell from the video, but i would assume it is only rear wheel drive? Or do they have it somehow connected to power the front wheels as well?

  17. #17JimBruce422009-04-22 16:23

    Kinda hard to say from the photos but I'm willing to bed it has a kind of chain drive, similar to some motor graders.

  18. #18excavator5912009-04-24 04:24

    i saw one very old too here http://www.machineryzone.com/used/wheel-dozer/682752/caterpillar-824b.html

  19. #19excavator5912009-04-24 04:26