Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

odd pommie graders for graderfan

rayman ยท 2016-08-08 21:27

Hi graderfan, I hav'nt been here for a couple of years, but do you want some pics of "carlisle" or "Distington" motor graders? also a "Steelweld" and does Deas Plant still hang around on here?

Replies13
  1. #1old-iron-habit2016-08-08 22:52

    Deas has not been on here for quite some time. You can find him on the ACMOC site most days. He was stateside for a couple months this spring but he has been home for 6 weeks or so. We almost taught him a yankee accent.

  2. #2Graderfan19812016-08-12 18:17

    Oh yes, I loooooooooovvee graders so much, I'm a 34 year old woman and a big fan of graders - I have interest on pictures of different grader types

  3. #3ih1002016-08-24 16:09

    Graderfan, just being nosey, but do you work around equipment of any kind? Where did the interest in graders come from?

  4. #4Graderfan19812016-08-24 16:25

    I don't work with heavy equipment, when I see a grader the first time, i was so fascinated, I was 9 years old. Now i love graders too, other machines are not my interest/don't like so much, only graders, because i find them sooooo nice. When I see a grader, i get so lucky

  5. #5rayman2016-08-25 00:53

    Graderfan, I have posted more down on the "Old Iron" page, I thought the purists might get upset with old junk up here in with the newer junk. c.u.down there.

  6. #6Graderfan19812016-08-25 04:38

    I don't look so much in the other sections here in the forum, mostly in the grader section, this section here is my home, because I only like graders. I try to find them. When someone has grader pictures, please post them here, because i most look only here, many thanks

  7. #7Queenslander2016-08-25 07:38

    I wonder what the connection is with the Carlisle and the Distington? Almost identical graders, just different badging. If no one else can help us out, it looks like a job for you Graderfan!

  8. #8rayman2016-08-26 02:07

    Queenslander, I have done a bit of snooping, It appears as though John Blackwood Hodge was hedging his bets, all of those machines were license built "Galion Iron Works" The only one to carry the "Galion G-B." badge was the 118A with Leyland 0680. They were a very good machine, far easier to drive than a Cat 12 and I have had one doing 40 m.p.h. on the flat too. They had the troublesome six forward-two reverse on the one stick transmission. I think they were built in Scotland. The" B90 Distington" was a Galion 104 built by Distington Engineering Co. that serial no.is year of build 1957-model 90-machine no. 34 That machine at Ilfracombe and an identical one but with "Carlisle" plates lying in a paddock at Monto were both imported by Livingstone Shire Council in 1957. The "Carlisle" I posted on the old iron thread is down in South Australia. "Carlisle" was built by "Carlisle Iron Foundries" at that time a branch of British Steel, they were all powered by Leyland "comet" engines which became the "400" series. So mr. John B-H. was being patriotic with the names. In N.Z. the whole lot were marketed by I.H.New Zealand Ltd. Included was also the little "Wakefield" They were very popular with City Councils for repair and maintenance of streets and footpaths. Th ey had the little 6 cyl. direct start I.H. engine that I first saw in the BTD6 crawler and Drott shovel. At that time (thru the 1950's) Blackwood Hodge,NZ. ltd were totally tied up with "Euclid" both English and USA built scrapers-dozers and dumptrucks.

  9. #9rayman2016-08-26 02:16

    Qlander, the serial no. on the "Carlisle" in the other thread is 4220041 in this case the order no. 42-model 200.production no41. I have crawled all over that "Britstand" out west and that is Cat 12 all the way.

  10. #10Queenslander2016-08-26 18:17

    rayman, I've been doing a little snooping myself and ,while I was aware of the BH presence here, I didn't realise just how big this British company was. At one stage they were leading the sales of construction machinery worldwide. It seems part of their success was building and marketing machinery under licence from other manufacturers. Including this Huber grader built in Australia

  11. #11rayman2016-08-28 19:34

    Q.lander, I have driven "Huber-Warco" graders, they also were copies of "Galion 101" but instead of conventional steering they had tiller and direct rams as after the "Austin Western" style. TD14 engine and two stick box. We also had several "Adams 660" they were copies of Galion 118A- but the blade gear was mechanical, the engines in both were UD16 I.H. and Oliver transmissions.

  12. #12Graderfan19812016-08-29 14:19

    I had a look to pictures from Galion 118 and Adams 660. The frame from the Adams has more "sloped" construction and the beginning of the front frame (front of the cabin) has a bit other form. But the grader types looks similar, that is right @ rayman Have you got my message/e-mail with the question for the photos?`I have send you my e-mail-adresse where you can send them, many thanks

  13. #13OzDozer2017-03-16 19:34

    Queenslander, what year is that Huber-Warco grader ad? With torque converter drive, powershift transmission, and a powered sideshift for the mouldboard, the machine would have been a dream to drive as compared to the old knuckle-buster, Cat 12 competition! Cat always sneered at hydraulic graders and claimed that only Cats mechanical lift and lower would hold a precise position endlessly. In the era of 800-100psi hydraulics and leather hydraulic seals, they probably had a good selling point! However the biggest selling point of the Cat 12's was their sheer reliability. They had their faults, but their reliability was legend. For a machine designed in the mid-1930's and released in late 1937 and produced largely unchanged for decades, it shows how good the basic design was. I have a copy of the release brochure for the Cat 12 dated 1937, it's a substantial piece of advertising with some great photos, designed to make the competition look like Roman chariots.