Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Odd wiper/ u seal

crane operator ยท 2021-03-12 17:59

Liebherr ltm 1080/1 I've got steering cylinders that are seeping, and I'm going to have to reseal some of them- probably end up sealing all of them. I did one a year and half ago, and in resealing, I messed up one of the teflon rings. (teflon rings are a pain to install) The seal kits are really $$$ from liebherr, so instead of trying again with another seal kit, I replaced the cylinder to get the crane back up and running. Now I'm looking at doing several more, and I don't want to replace all those cylinders. My hydraulic shop can get me the o-rings and teflon rings that I need, but on the gland end, they use a "buffer" o ring and teflon seal in one groove, and then they have a one piece wiper and u cup seal. The one piece wiper/ ucup seal is the one they can't find. We looked at replacing the oring and teflon buffer with a ucup seal, and then put another u cup where the one piece seal and wiper is as a wiper, but I don't really want to remove the buffer (afraid of steering shock and rod damage). Or have contamination with no wiper. The seal kits are around $200, and the new cylinder was over $900. Its only 3 orings, two teflon rings, two wear bands, and a ucup seal and wiper combo. So if I can get the combo ucup/ wiper, I'm going to be in good shape to reseal the rest of the cylinders as needed. Its $70 for the rest of the seals. The dimensions on the seal are 25x35x5 and its a combination seal and wiper all in one. Someone is making this seal, I just need to find out who. It may be a captured part, which wouldn't surprise me with liebherr. Any advice for installing the teflon rings with less trouble would also be appreciated. Last time I dropped them in my hyd. oil filled crock pot for a warm up, and a lubed install, but it wasn't any fun.

Replies9
  1. #1John C.2021-03-12 18:19

    That used to be called a polypak. They worked good for replacing old chevron packing but the pressure range was around 2,500 max. It should still work fine for a wiper though. The teflon rings are always a pain but nothing else works as well. Those work in the 3K to 5K pressure ranges.

  2. #2lantraxco2021-03-12 19:04

    Boil the teflon rings in water for about five minutes, pull out with a wire hook or needle nose, shake the water off and immediately with gloved hands attempt install. Bobcat used to use those on all their cylinders.

  3. #3crane operator2021-03-12 19:31

    So the oring under the teflon ring is actually doing the pressure fluid sealing, and the ucup/with wiper made in, is really just acting like a wiper? The hyd. guys today acted like the oring and teflon was just a buffer to take away shock load/ slow it down, and the cup seal with wiper was doing the sealing. They were having trouble sourcing the ucup/wiper seal, and if its not doing the main sealing, maybe I can use just a standard "polypak"/ ucup seal there. I looked at the poly paks I could find on the internet, and didn't find any with the made in wiper like mine, some of the pnuematic seals have that, but I didn't spot any for hyd. uses. The search goes on. Thanks for the help guys.

  4. #4lantraxco2021-03-13 00:57

    No, the O-ring just supplies tension like a spring to load the teflon ring, though of course it does seal itself in the groove. I would bet that little green guy actually does all the sealing since it's loaded with an O-ring. Weird little seal. You say it's 25x35x5, is 5mm the total height?

  5. #5crane operator2021-03-13 08:34

    5mm is height.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-03-13 11:14

    Would it be feasible to have a new gland made that would accept readily available seals on it ?

  7. #7crane operator2021-03-14 09:25

    I kinda doubt that would be $$$ ahead. I'm looking at less than $100 if I can find the seals local, liebherr can get me a seal kit for around $200. There's 6 or 8 of those cylinders, so I was just trying to save a few $$$. I don't see getting new glands made for less than $100. If it was $100 to have the glands made, I'm at $200 total with new seals, I just as well buy the liebherr kits and be done with it.

  8. #8Jonas3022021-03-14 10:49

    I searched up and down the internet for that seal closest I found is out of stock in the UK its an interesting set up why they used a buffer in there which would reduce pressure to protect the U seal out front thing is if the pressure is that high that they need a buffer why wouldn't there be another rod seal as any real pressure would shove the snap in wiper out and if the pressure is low why mess with a buffer and special wiper when a regular rod seal and wiper would do Best bet is to pony up the 200 and be all set if they were not available or not such a critical part it would make sense to refit them a lot of downtime it they started leaking again

  9. #9joe--h2021-03-14 14:33

    https://herculesus.com/page.php?name=Download-Catalog-PDFs&id=311 Down load a catalog, if they don't have it it ain't made. And they can make seals too. Joe H