WHERE IN THE HELL DO YOU FIND THE TOOLING? Sorry for shouting, but this is getting ridiculous. Service manual gives a number, and says to contact OTC Division in Owatonna, MN. They have not a clue what I'm looking for. Case is no help at all yet. Figured while I'm waiting I'll throw it out to you guys and see if anyone has any ideas. Looking for a CAS-1555 final drive puller. Also looking for the seal installer for a G109655. Of course, Case doesn't print the part number for the tool.
I can look it up for you. Can you send me the machine model and serial your working on
Case 1150G JJG257251
OTS makes the tooling under their own part number. Case (and other manufacturers) uses their own part numbers in place of OTC's. Its captive marketing at its finest.
So HOW DO I GET IT lol
The best way is to google the Case part number.
Don't tell me that. I spent 2 hours searching instead of working this afternoon and have gotten NOWHERE.
might be best to start making a tool. Case forgot about this tool it doesnt come up anymore. Are you looking for a seal tool for pic 34 in service manual? I dont see any reference to a seal tool in the final drive section. I can check our tools at the shop maybe we have the otc tool. you could measure the shaft and find a puller that will work. All you need is a straight bar that has slotted holes for the shaft bolts to line up then two threaded holes and long bolts that are on the outside of that. Two hours looking you probably could have made one. You might be able to use a slide hammer. Ill let you know in the am if I find a otc number but ours is probably the cas-1555. Sorry
Well, the problem is finding bolts long enough, everywhere I tried they only went to 4". I'm going to Bismarck tomorrow, I'm planning on picking up some 7/8 or 1" fine-threaded rod and some nuts. As far as the Duo-cone installation tool, I never did find any kind of part number.
If you have the choice, you want grade B7 threaded rod. Its close to the equivalent of Grade 5 bolts. There is grade 8 threaded rod, but its going to be hard to find in a storefront in a non-industrial town.
Bismarck has (had?) some oilfield supply shops that would carry large, oddball fasteners, though I don't know how many of those guys are still open. I haven't been through there in 7 or 8 years now.
So, how about the seal tooling? Any ideas there? If I have a measurement of the seal, is there a place that builds them?
I have technical drawing for puller if that would help.
The face seal is delicate the sealing faces cant be touched with your fingers. Other face seals I've installed can be installed without tools. In the instruction its vague it just says install. I think you can press them on by hand. The two metal surfaces are very tight specs I wouldnt tap them with anything. You'll know better when you take it apart practice with old ones.
If you feel you really want a duocone seal installer you can order one from Cat they have a huge assortment in the catalog. a field method is to grind a flat blade screwdriver smooth and you can usually carefully press the Toric rubber ring into place with it still on the metal ring. Don’t Press on the metal ring itself. Use non chlorinated brake cleaner to provide a quick evaporating lubricant (they are supposed to be installed dry but this works a little better. The metal part is the seal I don’t understand how they work except they are insanely close tolerances and mated to each other.
Yeah, you really don't need a seal installer for duocone seals. Just like JD said and it will work fine. What you have to really watch for is contaminating the seal surface while you are trying to install the sprocket/hub. Make sure that everything is super clean all around that area your working and the wind isn't dusting you out while your doing it. 1 spec of dirt on that seal surface when it goes together and your doing it again in a short time. you CANT be too clean doing this .
You boys are gonna start a war, lol. I had to install a large duo-cone on my Challenger this fall, and John, Nige, and a couple others were pretty adamant that you must use a tool.
I was taught by a redneck field mechanic (not that there is any other kind around here) to do the screwdriver thing. It might not be ideal but it does work. The large seals it is nice and easier to have the tool, definitely less of a chance of messing it up. I also spit on my bearings to know when they are warm enough to install
https://www.tss.trelleborg.com/en/products-and-solutions/mechanical-face-seals
There are some people who have actually installed these seals and some people who have only read about it. Bob
Kubota final drive face seals are 8" diameter. I've pushed all on by hand no tools. I wouldnt use a screwdriver ever, maybe a plastic tool. just like I dont use tools when installing cylinder packings. Nothing like nicking a seal with a metal tool and having to start over. But that's just me and what I was taught.
I'm guessing everyone that has replied to this thread has installed a few Duo-cones. But thanks for the observation.
Tool building went well today. The shaft doesn't take much force to remove. Could have easily used 3/4" threaded rod, but the 1" was only $10 for a 3' stick. I let the hired man do the welding, lol.
FWIW, the seals are face-type seals, but they don't have a o-ring type toric ring, it's actually a square rubber ring that installs fairly easily. The hardest part is getting the shaft in without the seal falling out. Maybe the OEM seal from Case would have fit a bit tighter, but they wanted $500 per seal instead of the $120 I paid to Broken Tractor. There was quite a little pitting in the seal bores in both the shaft and the housing, but I believe the majority of the sealing is accomplished by the tapered end being pressed tight against the bottoms of the bores. I debated using some Permatex #2 around the outside of the rubber ring, but decided against it. This final has been swapped out at some point, I assume it came from a jobber outfit that wasn't that concerned about the condition of the seal bores. Hopefully with the machine only getting a couple hundred hours per year I won't have to look at it again for a while.