Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Of all the crap to set you back:

1693TA ยท 2024-02-12 13:36

The photo is of "Chump" which rides with me near everyplace I go in the truck. Just a little RV inverter generator that is quiet enough to talk over when running. Always good service over the past several years. Remote start from several yards distant and so convenient. As of recent had a problem that he didn't want to run except when choked. As soon as the choke released the engine would stall out. After removing the rear access cover and looking at the carburetor, I noticed something out of sorts. Ther are two stepper motors mounted atop the carburetor with one controlling the electric choke, and the other controlling throttle speed for 60cps output, (which is quite accurate). While I wish I would have snapped a photo, I noticed a buildup of some type of "nest" on top of the carburetor encapsulating the throttle control. This turned out to be "stink bugs" as the enclosure was full of their dead carcasses. I removed this encumbrance and the generator works normal again. Never wound have thought that.

Replies23
  1. #1Acoals2024-02-12 14:05

    It would be a little rude if you didn't introduce the fuel tank when she's sitting right there, wouldn't it?

  2. #21693TA2024-02-12 15:06

    That is the transfer tank we've conversed about several times in the thread "Guy Stops by the Shop". I'm currently awaiting a fuel drop from the bulk supplier right now so I can fill it. I'm more proud of those two fuel tanks than I am of some investments making thousands in returns. It's all about making something viable and useful from nothing.

  3. #3cfherrman2024-02-12 15:22

    Those things are very handy, I have a 1800 version that's pull start, at 40 lbs it beats ever dragging out 100' of power cord

  4. #41693TA2024-02-12 15:45

    This one is right at 100 pounds full of fuel. It's heavy enough it doesn't bounce around in the back of the truck and weathertite enough the snow and rain don't seem to bother it. The remote start is a feature I really like and is really handy.

  5. #5Acoals2024-02-12 17:20

    Yes, yes, I recognize the tank, but what is its name? Everything else seems to be named . . .

  6. #6cfherrman2024-02-12 17:28

    FueLishious

  7. #71693TA2024-02-12 17:33

    I've always and only named vehicles. The black fender Mack B-61 is "Remedy", the green B-673ST is "Snuffy", The 74 RL-797LST is "Riff-Raff", and the 73 RL-797LST is simply "Tanker" as it's a water truck. The black Dodge has always been called "Krusty", and my white R-612ST is "Belle" which is short takeoff for "Belligerent Bitch". My 68 Barracuda has always been called "Car". The crane body on "Fred" came from a truck called "Oscar" and my first rollback truck was "Hannible". All the family refers to the vehicles by name it's went on so long.

  8. #8IceHole2024-02-12 18:20

    All mine generally get named things that could make a sailor blush.

  9. #9cfherrman2024-02-12 18:22

    My rig is called sweetheart

  10. #101693TA2024-02-12 18:34

    Back in the 70's it was popular for back window decals such as "Mustang, Camaro, Trans-Am, Cuda', etc. I found one that simply stated "Car" with racing stripes closely mimicking those on the sides of the car. My wife didn't like it as encumbered rearward vision through the back glass so was removed but the name stuck:

  11. #11Acoals2024-02-12 18:52

    But ... But ... You introduced the generator as "Chump" . . .

  12. #121693TA2024-02-12 19:14

    Yes I did. That is probably the only piece of equipment with a name too which is simply a play on the brand name.

  13. #13davejo2024-02-12 19:54

    I have one of those, too. Very handy. Perhaps I shall name it "Chimp" and join in on the naming fun.

  14. #141693TA2024-02-12 19:59

    You'd fit right in.

  15. #151693TA2024-02-14 11:21

    "Krusty" isn't happy in this photo but will be again later this afternoon. I need to grab several sheets of plywood, and blue board for plaster work for.an in the house project going on. First I've seen that truck bed clear in well over a year. Transfer tank and "Chump" will go back in later today.

  16. #16cfherrman2024-02-14 11:43

    The farmer installed ball makes that fun

  17. #171693TA2024-02-14 11:51

    The ball unscrews from the 10" ship channel that has a mating large nut welded underneath. I had the truck all of three hours when the bed was off and hanging from a cherry picker so I could weld that hitch to the frame. Need a pipe wrench to rotate it of course. Just figures B&W would bring their "Turnover Ball" hitch out shortly afterward......

  18. #18cfherrman2024-02-14 13:22

    Haha, I have a weld in but it has a locking wedge of some sort.

  19. #19Welder Dave2024-02-14 23:08

    You could call the truck castrated or semi-castrated depending if it had no balls or only 1.

  20. #20Shimmy12024-02-14 23:23

    We have names like Pickle, Strawberry, Big Red, Lil Red, Black Mamba, Dirty30, and Old Smoky to name a few.

  21. #211693TA2024-02-14 23:25

    I'm surprised I've not killed that truck cause I've certainly pulled the balls, sh*t, guts, etc. out of it over the years. Yet he still has more to give..... Didn't reinstall anything this evening but I did take the motor apart on the transfer pump cleaning it up, polishing the commutator and lubricating the end bearings for the armature to rotate within. Didn't do anything with "Chump" except give him a pat on the handle for rendering such good service when, and as needed. I figure old "Krusty" deserves some love and affection so going to change oil, grease, and install a new pitman arm onto the steering gear tomorrow. I have new Firestone tires purchased for him but I've been kind of saving them back to install on the Hobart welder once it's on running gear. Only planning to run him though the end of September this year when the license expires and put him to a pasture retirement. IMO, "he's" earned it.

  22. #221693TA2024-02-14 23:36

    Dirty 30 is what our family property has been called since 1969 when it first come into the family. Even has a chainsaw carved oak log for the sign carved out "DIRTY 30" at the entrance gate. That's what everybody calls it to this day. It is the property the dozer, pan, and hopefully soon a medium excavator was/will be purchased to work with. I did forget to mention I named the dozer "Alli-Kat" as kind of a play on the Allis-Chalmers, and Caterpillar Tractor names. My wife retired from Cat, and daughter currently heads up a business unit of theirs in Peoria. No loyalty to Caterpillar from me, but there is for Allis.

  23. #231693TA2024-02-15 11:50

    All's good in "KrustyLand" again: