Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Off road dump trailer

Skinincats ยท 2015-09-06 09:51

I am wondering how handy a converted haul truck to a trailer is? have MT 865 that I can pull with that will be on a job. 865 will already be there before the need to place rip rap.for the price of renting a haul truck I can convert an old moxie truck into pull type. just wondering if you can maneuver very well. Will be relatively tight quarters on dry sand on about a 6% slope

Replies5
  1. #1mowingman2015-09-06 12:53

    Those are pretty common around north Texas. Someone builds trailer units that look just like the back half of an articulated dump truck. I see them on lots of jobs, usually pulled by big, all wheel drive, John Deere tractors. I have never used one myself. In fact, there is one currently listed for sale on the Dallas Craigslist.

  2. #2farmerlund2015-09-06 17:17

    I have thought about doing the same thing. haven't found the right truck to convert to a trailer. One thing I wonder about is the style of lift cylinder, I think the single acting telescoping kind will take to much oil out of the tractor. If it takes 25-30 gal to fill the cylinder that seams like most of the oil in a big tractor, would leave your trans empty for a short time. I have been looking for a truck with the two long double acting cylinders on the side. I think that style would maybe be better to use. Holmes makes a offroad trailer out of old articulated truck.

  3. #3mowingman2015-09-06 18:57

    http://images.craigslist.org/00303_ednv0C1oNn6_600x450.jpg THe one in the Dallas Craigslist. It is a Holmes.

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2015-09-08 00:27

    That Holmes posted looks like a good deal. They got rid of most of the problem associated with the Terex truck, and just left the working end.

  5. #5Skinincats2015-09-10 08:00

    Thanks for the response, I am really hoping someone has used one of these in wet sand conditions. Is it worth the hassle or should I just rent an adt