Hello im 18 years old, a senior enrolled in a vocational high school for welding. After high school I would really like to get into a career as a heavy equipment mechanic. I have been around equipment ever since i can remember, currently i am running dozer and excavator on the weekends and after school for a small excavating company. My dad and his brother were both mechanic/welders and I know a couple field mechanics and im positive that is the career i want to pursue.I have been told I am very "mechanically inclined" for my age. I have been doing research on different heavy equipment technician programs and also been asking questions about the local operator hall's apprenticeship program. I recently found out about Ohio CAT's Think Big program. It is an internship for Ohio CAT to become a cat technician. I was wondering if there is anyone that gone through this internship that can tell me about their experience in this program or any other good heavy equipment tech schools or even an apprenticeship. Any info will help, Thank you!!!
Go for it, you will never look back. A cat dealership is one of the best places to learn, the more variety of machine population improves that again. Later Bob
Second what Bob said. If you can do a mechanics apprenticeship with a CAT dealer you will never look back, I did mine here like that 30 years ago; and it made me enough money to go bulldozing for myself; plus took me alover the world, including working for 'uncle sam' in antartica on operation deep freeze. Caterpillar even had what they called a srvice training 'passport' you could get. Just like a real passport to use to introduce yourself to different dealerships around the world.
I am not a part of it but know quite a few people who have done it. Each of them has been pleased with the program. It isn't easy to get through but if you do, it is worth it. You will get paid while you are working at the dealer and once you are done with school, you will have no problem finding a job. It is a good pay and if it is something you are passionate about, go for it.
sbell4, Check with your dealership for available spots for the Thinkbig program. They should have a person which manages the program for Ohio Cat. Also have you researched the local college for application process. If you are a current senior in high school you need to get the process moving. Good Luck!
I have Applied to the college and got accepted already and contacted Ohio cat and I am attending an open house for the think big program. Thanks
:usaGreat to see great yong people looking ahead with further education.This pays big time for you andyour country.Cat has outstanding programs.Deere also offers education programs both in const.and agri. Good luck with your future.
Once you go Cat you will never go back. Cat has really great training programs.
Sbell if you dont like what you here at ohio cat, go see kevin in service at murphy tractor in cambridge. deere is running a similar program. i believe he told me that they will send you through there two year deere college if you agree to run a field service truck for a certain amount of time. best o luck to you.
If you apply yourself you can really learn a lot. When I worked for CAT a few guys went through it and were completely worthless. After a year in the program they had to be taught how to use a multimeter. After a little while I got tired of the dealer and moved on to a Komatsu dealer. Of all of the equipment ive worked on I really like the Komatsu the best. Don't limit yourself to one make of equipment, learn as much as you can about all of it. When the economy took a turn and the CAT dealer was letting my buddies go left and right, when applying for jobs they were all told that a hundred other guys with CAT experience also applied. There is a lot of one make guys out there but the major equipment manufacturers all have similar classes to ThinkBig. I will say this, I have been with my current dealer for over six years and am making more that guys at the local CAT dealer that have 30 years of experience.
Thanks for all the input!