Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ohio wind farm work

catkicker ยท 2011-10-15 21:14

Here are some pics of blue creek wind farm in Ohio. 152 Gamesa G90's We have 2 1600's, 1 1350, 1 1400 Liebherr cranes. 2 999's 1 American/Terex HC125 Kobelco 2000 and several Grove and Terex pickers. 1600's have 400' of boom. Here are a few pics

Replies10
  1. #1Tiny2011-10-16 05:42

    I haven't had to play in sloppy mud like that in months .I'm almost jealous . How long does it take to set one up (wind mill) once the footing is ready?

  2. #2heavylift2011-10-16 12:45

    the Kansas job. They set the bottom... grout and tension them...don't know the time frame as to how long they set to cure. there are 4 crane used to set the bottoms and off load trailers ... 999's and 218's ...these crews are way ahead of the rest of the activity 999's are used to set the bottom, the 218's tails the load.. the bottoms have trailers that unload without assistance of cranes. The other tubes and blades require 2 cranes. Nacelle and hub is unloaded by a 999. They have 18000's setting the rest of the parts.. I'm pretty sure they do it in a day maybe two... not real sure... The wind is the biggest factor... The nacelle is fitted with the hub assembly... don't know the total weight , but the nacelle by itself is 80 ton... Blades are 15,000 pounds each, assembled one at a time in the air ... haven't heard the weight of the mid and top section..

  3. #3hounddoglily2011-10-18 17:17

    I live in Duluth MN and see alot of the wind mills come off the ships right here at port. I do know that one day they were moving a motor section of the mill, on a flat bed 50 Ton and the trailer broke right in half.

  4. #4heavylift2011-10-18 17:56

    nacelle and bottom tower trailers The trailer in the foreground is a nacelle trailer, it weighs so much empty that the rear tag axle has to remain on the trailer, it is a 10 foot wide, it weighs around 125,000 to 150,000, as near as I can guess. The nacelle weighs 80 tons or 160,000. The combined weight was 280 to 290,000. The trailer in the background is a unit that hauls the bottom section, it self offloads the tube.. weight unknown. the rear part is pulled backwards after the unloading, which makes it a double combo affair

  5. #5dutchy2011-10-19 13:30

    Nice pics, hope to see more from you!

  6. #6barklee2011-10-31 18:55

    That's wild u posted this, I live just down the road from the farms. Wanted to ask somebody where are all the cranes from? They are blue in color....at least the ones I saw. Is the project going well? Seems so, there has to be 300there towers there.

  7. #7catkicker2011-11-03 17:30

    About a 150 or so turbines on the blue Creek farm there is also a smaller wind farm NW of blue Creek project. those 1600/2 Liebherr's, the big blue and white ones are Biggie cranes.

  8. #8mitch5042011-11-03 20:37

    I wonder why they go to the expense and weight of self-unloader trailers for the tubes, since there are so many cranes there already?

  9. #9heavylift2011-11-03 23:03

    @mitch504... best guess is to reduce the height of the trailer and to save weight... they may be at least 14 to 16 foot in diameter, my best guess there... the tube is the trailer frame... I think the tube trailer and the nacelle trailer have 50 wheels each on the ground... I know the blades can't take the short way because there is a 15' 9" overpass, nor can the nacelles as they go thru town also.. but the tube come from a different location, one driver said they slow to 10 mph on bridges

  10. #10Revxracer2011-11-04 22:33

    whats the general weight of all the pieces....?