Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil ?

PSDF350 ยท 2006-05-02 19:37

Went to change oil in my Cat skidder today (3304 motor). So I went to napa to get oil. Guy gave me some Valvoline engine oil and I didn't notice it is not specific for diesel motor. It was on shelve above the synthetic for diesel thats why I didn't notice. Anyway my question is should I be using a oil that is made specificly for diesel or is what I bought fine?

Replies16
  1. #1Jeff D.2006-05-02 20:59

    PSDF350,IMO I woudn't use it.One oil change with it probably wouldn't do any detrimental damage to the motor,but it wouldn't have the same additives as a diesel engine oil. I believe that diesel oil has an additive to control soot,which isn't a problem in gas motors.There may be other additives that it would lack also,and may have some which wouldn't be needed. Better to be safe than sorry,since you've caught the mistake before it went in.

  2. #2PSDF3502006-05-02 21:13

    Thanks Jeff. Thats what I was thinking. Thats why I didn't finish oil change. Figuired i'd ask here first.thats why she is sitting out there right now oilless. But this stuff does have the soot additive.

  3. #3Bob Horrell2006-05-02 23:31

    Check on the label for the letters CF, CG, CH, or CI. The "C" stands for compression engine (diesel). If any of the above letters are on the label you are good to go. If not, don't use it.

  4. #4PSDF3502006-05-02 23:58

    Thanks Bob. I didn't realise the C stood for combustion. On bottle it is API services CI-4 plus, CI-4, CF/SL. I get confused (easly) with all these desiginations. One problem is my op manual was printed in 90 so is a bit out of date on it's secification. Which are API CD/SD, CD/SE, CD/Sf, CD/SG, or CD. But after reading bottle it does seem to have what it is supposed to. Just to make sure I am going to call Cat in the morning.

  5. #5digger242j2006-05-03 00:18

    dang... I'm still learning something new every day... So, on the label when it says "API service SI, SJ, SH", what does the "S" stand for?

  6. #6Jeff D.2006-05-03 00:27

    Where's Salesrep when ya need him??:bouncegri He'd know. I've heard some oils can be used in both diesel and gas motors.They must have enough additives too cover both engines needs.I believe Rotella is one of them,depending on the API ratings for the engine ofcourse.

  7. #7PSDF3502006-05-03 09:11

    Thats what this oil is supposed to be. It is all fleet plus. For fleets of mixed gas/diesel motors.

  8. #8Steve Frazier2006-05-03 17:43

    Diesel oils can be used in gas engines, but gas oil shouldn't be used in diesels.

  9. #9digger242j2006-05-03 17:51

    Now, I was told, by a diesel truck mechanic, (and admitedly, this was 20 years ago, so oils may have changed since then), that you should not use diesel engine oil in your gas engines either. Supposedly something about the detergency being too much for the gas engines. He said that you maybe could add one as the last quart before an oil change, and it would help clean the engine out, but otherwise it would take out your piston rings. Yeah--Where's Salesrep when you need him?

  10. #10Grader4me2006-05-03 18:29

    The "S" stands for spark ignition. I took the easy way....googled for the answer.:wink2

  11. #11Grader4me2006-05-03 18:41

    Adding to that "S" Spark ignition - engines fueled by gasoline, alcohol, natural gas or propane

  12. #12PSDF3502006-05-03 20:36

    I called cat today to make sure. Service guy said no problem. He only wanted to know what weight oil. When I told him, he said that will be fine. So I put it in. It is made for both though, so it should be fine. But I think next time I will make sure it is only for diesel.

  13. #13digger242j2006-05-03 21:34

    And you didn't have to admit that either.

  14. #14PSDF3502006-05-03 21:50

    :notworthy Just goes to show the man has integrity. So many these days know everything or at the least try to make you think they do.

  15. #15Grader4me2006-05-04 05:44

    Thanks! When I have chances I will share what I do know. Things that I am not sure of I will openly admit and not try to bull****:yup Always been like that. I will admit after reading the many posts over the months, the knowledge and wisdom of the members of this forum is very impressive. Glad to be a part:notworthy

  16. #16Jeff D.2006-05-28 00:23

    I found this link to the API,on another forum,which helps some on understanding oil rating designations. http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/API_MotorOilGuide_2004.pdf