I've got my hydro back in my cat 963 and added the 17.5 gallons like it's suppose to hold-- trouble is, it still shows low on the site glass. Is it unusuall for a completey empty hydro to take several more gallons of oil to get it in the operating zone ???
You don't mention what model you have. For all 963 the "hydraulic tank" is listed as 15.9 US gallons, move to a B and the "hydraulic system" is listed as 18 US gallons, a 2DS-prefix C and you're back to "hydraulic tank" again and it's listed the same as the B -18 gallons. A BBD-prefix C lists the "hydraulic system/transmission" as 36.4 gallons. Finally a D refers to it as Transmission & Implement system" with a capacity of 23.8 gallons. The only common thing through all the models are the words "Aproximate Refill Capacities" at the top of the table. I would suggest to fill the system until the oil level is within the appropriate area of the sight glass when the implements are set in the correct position for measuring oil level.
Sorry about not clarifying my model..... I have a straight 963 serial #21Z04421 and I am filling the hydrostat case, not the hydraulic system. Thanks
The transmission system takes approximately 16.5 gallons in that case. The only thing I can suggest is make sure the machine is absolutely level before measuring the oil level. A machine that's tipped one way or another will register all sorts of funny things on dipsticks.
Once the oil is up to sight glass, hook a test fitting on to the case drain nipple, let air get out untill the oil flows from each motor. Then start up and let the charge circuit fill the loops and the cooler. Then you should be okay to run. The 73's take about 30 gal but 63 is less. Later Bob