Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil color?

512high ยท 2014-07-08 20:42

Hi Everyone, This might be a stupid question...so here it goes. I have a 2011 John Deere 244J compact wheel loader w/about 2,000 hours. My owners manual says change engine oil and filter every 500 hrs., well I bought the machine used, and the last oil change was done 1,300 hours, so I changed it as soon as I got . BEFORE I changed the oil, I checked the level which was fine, but black. I changed the oil and filter ran it ,checked it...its black still! Is this normal? I have a 1997 Ford f350 power stroke, and when I can that oil it stays golden for a while.... Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2014-07-08 21:20

    A lot might depend on how hot you got the old oil before draining it. Maybe qutie a bit of oil was left in the engine. If the last oil went 1300 hours before changing it certainly wouldn't hurt to change it a couple of times in quick succession. Make sure you get it really hot before draining it.

  2. #2512high2014-07-09 15:44

    Nige, Thanks for the response, the last oil change was done at 1,300 hours according to the writing on the oil filter, so I may do what you say about changing a few more times, and to be honest I think I just watched temp guage get to normal, shut it off and drained.....is there any harm if I don't change it right away? Its only used for snow removal, however, once a month I drive it for a mile or so, to keep things in check etc....Philip

  3. #3Nige2014-07-09 15:47

    It won't do any harm to leave it in there for a while, but before you drain it next time work the machine hard until all the systems are well up to temperature before dropping the oil.

  4. #4512high2014-07-09 15:49

    great thank you!!