Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil Condition Sensor

KJaeger19 ยท 2011-02-07 23:47

Hi, I'm a student working on a project concerning oil. I was just curious if any of the heavy equipment you use has any sort of oil condition sensor? Such as when to change the oil based on actual condition of the oil or contaminants found in the oil. I was also curious, if you didn't have an oil condition sensor if it made you feel a bit uneasy about when to change the oil? Furthermore, would you find it useful to have a sensor to tell you the condition of the oil rather than just changing the oil on a regular basis? Would you find it useful to know what contaminants are found in the oil such as what metal flakes are present? And finally would you find it useful to be able to monitor the condition of the engine oil in real time so that you can see how different conditions have affected the oil and its life span? Any responses would really be appreciated. Thank you

Replies1
  1. #1fast_st2011-02-08 09:38

    Hmm, I would think that factory chip detectors would be a welcome option. I kinda hope that oil samples are sent off for analysis on a regular basis. I generally use oil analysis as a condition detector though having a built in multi-dimensional gas chromatograph would be sweet.