Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil contaminated with coolant in dozer. Clutches and brakes???

fastline ยท 2021-12-01 18:47

Dealing with a mess. Have an old torque converter dozer that has a bad trans cooler and put 10gal of coolant in the trans!!! The oil is black, and I am curious of any information or actual experiences with coolant in clutches and brakes? At the moment, I am just hoping this is not a death sentence! There are several clutch packs in the trans, then the two steer clutches, and the wet brakes.

Replies5
  1. #1Vetech632021-12-01 18:58

    Drain it, run it, drain it, run it again. If you didn't have a lot of run time on it, I doubt it has hurt anything.

  2. #2fastline2021-12-01 19:24

    Before I got into it, it visited the dealer because it would not steer or shift right. Was determined the trans pump pressure was at 300 but when activating a steer clutch, it would drop. Pump screens were checked and have black sludge crap all over them. I suspect much from clutches. Could be years of it, just hard to tell. The black stuff concerns me. there were small chunks, not just sludge. This was mostly on the magnets, the screen was pretty much clear. My thought is the coolant turned the oil to snot and plugged everything?? After sitting for several months, apparently it separated. I drained nice green coolant.

  3. #3Bluox2021-12-01 21:21

    Do we get extra points if we guess what machine this is ? Bob

  4. #4fastline2021-12-01 21:53

    LOL, no Bob, but 10 points to guess what blows up first. No question that auto trans clutches are tits up when coolant hits them. I just don't know if CAT or other heavy toys run a different tool box on that. I can say from my offroad race days, I have not seen clutches just fall apart due to coolant, but that is also usually caught pretty quick.

  5. #5Bluox2021-12-01 22:04

    And we are still guessing which machine you are talking aboot. Bob