Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil Field Jobs

MMSOCAL ยท 2007-12-30 20:14

:usa Now i am here in so cal, but when my wife gets out of school i would like to go up to the northern oil fields. Alaska or Canada i dont realy care, but i hear the wages are well worth it. Now maybe i am misinformed, but operators are making upwards of 150 grand a year. I make less than half of that here, and i could pay off the house and come back here after a couple years. I may be shooting in the dark but maybe someone has some info on the subject.:usa

Replies12
  1. #1INSTRUCTOR WAR2007-12-30 20:50

    I know a few guys that have worked on the north slope, they loved the money and wouldnt trade the experiance for anything. Its not a real family orientated job. but for a single man the skys the limit. most guys loved it and only came back south because it was time to grow up. they said they were practically living on thier first paycheck several moths later. plenty of hunting and fishing. lots of stuff to do but remember yer north of of the arctic circle so 6 months out of the year its total darkness. thye say the most peacefull thing in the winter time is to not hear the constant buzz of generator and light tower engines. they say that got old real quick

  2. #2DirtHauler2007-12-30 20:55

    Lemme see if I can hy-jack this thread and just say Alaska jobs in general. I am just divorced... again.... and I have heard the stories about the long hours up north. I hear stories about $2-3000 a week 14 hour days, no days off, etc. Any truth to it in general terms? The last time I was really in a position to consider going north for the season I was too young and not refined enough in my operating skills to risk it. I am clean and sober so I will be bringing my money home with me not partying it away (I hear people offen snorted their paychecks away in the old days).

  3. #3INSTRUCTOR WAR2007-12-30 21:53

    most of my buddies say they would go back if they didnt have thier familys now. only down side is after all the money they made they dont have much to show for it. i live in a nicer house and have nicer cars than they do and i they made 5 times the money i did. so i guess u have to play it smart or its just a trip of experiance and memories

  4. #4Northart2007-12-31 01:26

    North Slope Alaska Jobs Yea gotta be sterile or impotent to be making $150K . Prudhoe Bay Divorce is common ! This is for the married guys. I haven't been up there, in years , but Union scale is $29 ? + benefits. . 80 % of normal AGC wages. Room and Board is furnished. Work routine is 7/10's + . Schedule vary by company, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, cons't usually is for the duration or long jobs 9 weeks on and 2 weeks off. You are required to furnish your own Arctic Gear. Big $$$ . Unions require a North Slope Training Card. A prerequisite to the Oil patch. Pertains to safety, H2S , which is Hydrogen Sulfide Gas, A deadly gas, Polar bears, Feeding wildlife, Frostbite, etc. 6 months total dark ? Total BS. 2 months of very limited light, on the North Slope. December and January. Summer is 24 hrs of Daylight. Work is there and so is Hardship . :yup

  5. #5Grader4me2008-01-01 07:32

    Doesn't sound like the grass is any greener on the other side of the fence.

  6. #6MMSOCAL2008-01-01 10:48

    I have to agree, doesnt sound very green. Thanks for the information, it was just something ive wanted to do. I think it would be best for me to stay out here and reap the benifits of a good contractor. Thanks again:usa

  7. #7DuraMaxMan662008-01-01 16:09

    I think the constant temps in the negative double digits would get old real quick....all the pickup manufacturers send their diesel's up there to the north slope to see if they can hold up to the extreme cold....BP Gas is up there and drives all ford diesels and their trucks are running 24/7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwYbetD6lEc

  8. #8jimmyjack2008-01-01 21:54

    cool video, but i could do with out the fords:throwup

  9. #9Northart2008-01-01 23:05

    Arctic Work Conditions ? It's the adaptation of the Human body and mind to the Arctic. This is the key element for survival of the fittest, to work in the Arctic. Pretty much like the Inner City worker, amidst the heavy traffic,people, and constant turmoil of surroundings. Much like the worker in the arid desert like terrain. Or the Hot , Humid , Wet Tropics ! Or any regional environment with its definet pecularities. The Human body adapts to the cold quite rapidly. The blood flows deeper in the body, insulating, as opposed near to the surface,cooling, in hot climates. It gets thicker in the cold and thinner in the Heat. Mother Nature at work. Of course you got to wear the proper gear for the extreme cold. But so do others. Work efficiency drops with the temps, down to 10%-15% in the extremes. That means more people and equipment are needed for the task or it takes longer. Much like the heat, and High temps. So, then there is the pyschology of the work environment, deprivation of the normal human, social networks. That is why they have R&R's, "Rest and Recreation ". Go home , pay the bills, see the family, friends, take care of your continuing obligations, health care,etc. Surely an environment for a different breed, a Special kind of person, Survival of the Fittest. Mother Nature's Law still applies.

  10. #10MKTEF2008-01-03 15:50

    You are definitely right Northart. In Europe all the Army's come to us to train, because they have found out that soldiers and officers that is capable of surviving in the cold, will survive the desert or any other environment u put them into. I mean the experience from the real cold areas, is gold worth, when u understand that it can be used other places too. Problem is, when u have frozen some body parts one time, its very easy to freeze the same spots next time.... U know, when young and crazy, a lot of minus degrees, your friend comes up with a new snowmobile, just a quick test ride in thin shirts.....Yeah some thimes u never learn...

  11. #11WAHVYOPERATOR2009-01-15 22:44

    Alaska North Slope I have heard a lot of complaining about conditions on the slope. I think in the fight to find jobs you would take what you get. I just got done with 4 months in Antarctica and can say that I would welcome a job on the slope. The wage down here doesn't even come close. I would make in one month what I have made down here in 4

  12. #12surfer-joe2009-01-15 23:01

    I have a cousin working up there, I think on the slope on the rigs. He was home in Michigan for the holidays and I'm not sure if he has headed back yet or not. Sis says he works 28 days on and is off 28. But I'll try to get a hold of him and see if he might have some leads. He worked in Siberia for a while too. Loved it there. I'll get back to this thread as soon as I hear something.