Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil filter cutter ?

DPete ยท 2012-02-20 19:06

What do you have that works good on larger filters?

Replies16
  1. #1Water Doc2012-02-20 19:16

    How large are you looking for? I have CAT one that i picked up second hand years ago. It will do up to a 4" filter, maybe a little larger part # 175-7546

  2. #2John C.2012-02-20 19:51

    I've been stuck with a large vise and a hacksaw. Someone at one time made a large chain type pipe cutter that worked real well. I've seen a couple but never been able to put my hands on one.

  3. #3DPete2012-02-20 19:55

    I'll measure a filter tomorrow, bigger than 4" guessing 5"

  4. #4dayexco2012-02-20 19:56

    i just throw mine in the burn barrel, burn em out, sell the steel for scrap. i take it things are a lot different here in south dakota

  5. #5TOM V2012-02-20 20:12

    I have a FLEETGUARD 3310587S cutter, almost opens to 6".

  6. #6DPete2012-02-20 20:18

    We need to check for metal in the media, friend has a D8K knocking on 1 cyl, I think maybe a bad nozzle but he already has the head off. Any bearing failure should show up in the filter, a hack saw will get shavings inside, a filter cutter will be clean

  7. #7DPete2012-02-20 20:21

    Thanks, I'll find one online

  8. #8Nige2012-02-21 07:17

    You should find the 175-7546 Cat cutter somewhere on line also. It opens to 6".

  9. #9FRISKY2012-02-21 09:11

    To cut open oil filters I use a lathe. It's simple, fast and works well.

  10. #10joispoi2012-02-21 09:25

    This might not work, but has anyone tried using one of those can openers that cuts the lid off at the seem? http://www.simplysmartliving.com/Touchless-I-CAN-Safety-Can-Opener_p_891.html Otherwise, you could put it on a lathe if you have access to one.

  11. #11Nige2012-02-21 09:34

    A lathe will work OK on spin-on filters with a "solid" outer case but not so well on drop-in elements with a perforated outer shell IMO.

  12. #12TOM V2012-02-21 19:32

    Here's a couple snaps of the filter cutter I have. Fleetguard part# 3310587S

  13. #13John C.2012-02-21 21:58

    There is a big difference between hack saw debris and bearing material. Really you will know what you have as soon as that can falls off the paper. Good Luck!

  14. #14pointrow2012-02-22 00:34

    I agree I use a cheap band saw. You know what chips are from the saw and what is in the system.

  15. #15Dualie2012-02-22 01:12

    I bought a knock off of the one Tom V has from summit racing for less than $30 until that point i used a lathe and a VERY large pipe cutter.

  16. #16DPete2012-02-22 10:55

    We've got enough machines to warrant a cutter, ordered the Cat version, couldn't find the Fleetguard online. Thanks