Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil for 580L

Maybeso ยท 2020-05-28 21:44

I live in a remote part of Alaska and oil is scarce.The nearest case dealer is about 800 miles away and the oil would have to come by barge, so what I would like to know I have two types of oil locally that can take the place of Hy-tran, Id like to know a few opinions on which you folks think is a better oil for my machine. One is Napa Tractor hydraulic and transmisson oil, Part number NHF85405. The other is John Deere Hy-gard. Im not worried about the cost, I want quality. The case dealer I talked to swears that his service tech says that the napa oil is perfectly fine for the machine. Thankyou for any input

Replies3
  1. #1mitch5042020-05-29 01:58

    For the Hydraulic system, either is probably ok. For the transmission, the NAPA fluid is NOT acceptable. The Hy-Gard does have wet brake and clutch friction modifiers, and is much closer to the Case spec.

  2. #2dozr2020-05-29 14:52

    i have allways used automatic trans oil in 680 and 580l in trans easy to get an have not had a problem , used good tractor hyd in hyd.

  3. #3mikebramel2020-05-29 20:41

    Hygard