A long time ago I talked to a couple of equipment shop foremen that said before a waste oil pickup company takes the oil the driver will use test strips to check for contaminants that they won't accept- one of them was brake fluid- does anyone know why brake fluid is a problem?
Are they burning it or recycling it to reuse as oil?
They probably get a better price went the oil is just waste and not other products mixed with it.safety clean does that at the shop I work at .if gasoline is in oil they take sample and test it and will not take oil till they have result. We had a 50 gallon tank with about 130 gallons that was mixed and said the needed a special truck.so it sat for all most a month. My guys were putting oil 55 gallon drums.I said are you doing .put the mixed stuff in the drums .and use the the 250 gal tank ..then we got a company to take the mixed stuff.hopefully not you case.
I burn it all in my waste oil heater. Brake fluid, gear lube, some gasoline and I use a lot of synthetic oils as well. Water and antifreeze are a no go though. Also vegetable oil up to 50% if need be.
I had a buddy with a waste oil burner. He'd burn everything too. If he had a thick batch, he'd sweeten it with a bit of kerosene and let 'er rip. Worked real well.
???
WOW! did I have a mental hiccup. When I thought about this I didn't stop to think where the stock for rerefined oil comes from... kept thinking that used oil goes to the burner- that's it. I now burn oil but never had any brake fluid, just a question rooted in curiosity. Outboard- I've been told synthetic will not burn- misinformation?
Everything burns if it has enough heat.
I know for a fact that Amsoil 15w 40 HD if you put it in an hard hat heater aka smoke pot it will boil and then the vapors is what burn's then when you try to smother it out it will back flash
we had some that we used around shop when changing oil would add it to heater during the day. (had been using standard 15w40 for years with no problems) couple of times after we had cut it off and come back buy it later it would have oil spilled all over it. one day when we cut it off was standing near it and you could still hear it boiling then it back flashed or burped and blew oil out of it and then it went out. since then we just straight diesel fuel. have also noticed when you use a torch to cut the top off of a 55gal barrel on a standard oil barrel the drum will be on fire when the lid falls in but on the amsoil barrel when you take the torch away no fire.
Not sure I would want to be doing that, may not have a problem 99% of the time but that 1% can be deadly.
The manufacturer will change the pre heater temp by raising it. Then it will will burn it just fine. I have the standard temp heater and use a lot of synthetic oils with out issue.
The outfit that buys our waste oil never checks anything, just sticks the hose in the totes and starts suckin'.