Im just about due for an oil change in my 580 sk backhoe, and I think my oil level has been rising a little bit in the past few weeks. Backhoe has about 6700 hours or so on it. I dont use it every single day and when I do use it, I check the fluid levels, and it seems to be over the full mark now, and I know it wasnt a few weeks or a month or so ago. I feared it was diesel getting in the oil, but the oil appears to be the same "thickness" as when I put it in (black now of course), and doesnt smell like diesel (although would it if it was leaking ever so slowly in there?) Its not milky, and the coolant level hasnt dropped at all. Engine appears to be running normal, although it MAY be puffing a little bit more black then what it used to (cant really recall now though) Any thoughts opinions or advice appreciated before I take it to a mechanic.
I'm not too familiar with that engine, but if you are sure the level is rising, then it's either oil, fuel or coolant. Check the oil drain plug for coolant after the engine has sit for a few days. But if it's a cooler leak, coolant might already be mixed. Coolant may change the colour of the oil. I'm not sure if there is a test kit available for this or not, maybe Snap-On has one. You could have an oil sample analyzed, also. I don't think there are any oil pumps bolted to the engine, I don't remember any, unless it's in a chip truck . The converter housing is dry, I believe. That only leaves the injection pump, or a separate fuel transfer pump, which I don't think you have. So it might be this seal #5. Somebody else is sure to join in on this and help. Phil
From what you describe, if it was indeed showing a higher oil level it sounds as if it would have to be diesel in the oil. That much coolant would turn the oil chocolate or milky. The best thing to do would be have an oil analysis as Phil mentioned. Silly question, you're machine is on level ground each time you check it?
I used to own a Case 580D. The oil level also rose noticeably on it (a lot). After removing the injection pump and replacing the seal on the shaft, the problem was solved. If that is your problem, it's a relatively quick and cheap fix. The fuel in the oil didn't seem to have hurt the engine. It ran fine for as long as I owned the machine.
Phil thanks for the reply, and the diagram. The oil is still black as black can be, so im just assuming its gotta be diesel. I will check around today where I can get my oil analyzed. Actually I never really take notice where I park the machine, today when I go check I will make sure I check it on level ground, with the hoe sitting on the rubber. Funny how I never really realized if the machine was level or not, till you mentioned that. Did you remove the pump yourself and replace the seal? How did you determine that to be the problem? I figure the level might have rose a half liter to a liter over the course of around 100 hours, I THINK i am just noticing it in the past few weeks cause I have been using the machine daily now.
What way is the power assisted steering ? they also have shaft seals that leak may want to check that as well. Stock
yep it will make oil level go up... just replaced the steerin' pump on my 580c it was leakin' fluid into the crank case...
The steering pump on a SK come off of the main hydraulic pump. The only thing on a SK to let it gain oil would be the lift pump or the injection pump. Both of these pumps have weep holes to prevent the fuel from getting into the engine but they may be plugged up and letting the fuel get into the crankcase. The only other way woul be if there is an auxiaalry pump mounted below the injection pump but the K models didnt have any normal reasons for an auxillary pump to be installed.
I'm with GOOSE on this one. The CAV injection pumps were notorious for external throttle shaft leaks but not the seal leaking around the shaft into the engine. I have seen lift pumps leak into the engine though.
didn't know sk's wasn't a engine drivin pump......
Ghitch: 580E/SE and up there is no steering pump mounted on the engine. All done from the hydraulic pump. 580D was the last machine to use a steering pump on the engine like the 580C.
most engines consume a bit of motor oil no matter how good the piston rings are sealing. The resulting loss of oil is often replaced by by-products of the combustion process leaking down into the crankcase, so a loss showing on the dipstick isn't usually noticed. Perhaps there is more of one going on in your case than the other.