Just bought this trailer and going thru it before I start hauling anything with it. Should be a simple answer I hope, but are these axles greased or oil lubed? The trailer was made in 1977 and is 44' long and 10k lb axles. Thanks for any replies!
Looks like grease inside, or just old dirty oil.
Wipe it off good and pull the center plug, just be ready to install some new windows and plugs due to it's age. I would replace the covers/plugs so you can see your oil level, I think you may find oil and not grease with that hub cap,50/50 chance.
The Stemco seal on the outside would indicate to me oil filled hubs. It is not unheard of for people to fill them with grease instead of fixing a leaking inner oil seal. Best bet would be to pull them apart and go with new seals and fresh oil, while inspecting the bearings for damage prior to using it. It could save you big headaches down the road.
I'll agree with Jerry all the way on this one, if you have no history, pull them apart and check the bearings, just because there's something for lube in them now, doesn't mean they've always had it in there, someone might have run it low or empty and filled it and got rid of the trailer to avoid repairs.
For sure an oil hub, when that was new the ring around the black plug was actually clear and you could see the oil level.
Thanks for the replies guys! I figured as much with them supposed to be oil hubs due to the fill plugs, but it does look like they have been filled with grease a long time ago. I also agree with Jerry and will be going thru the bearings and fixing them right. I already replaced all the springs due to it's age because one was broken so just as well finish doing it right. Thanks again guys. You verified what I was thinking also.
If it was my trailer i would take it apart and grease the bearings. There is a good chance that one or more hubs will not hold oil after you have replace seal or a year from now one will leak.If you grease them with wheel bearing grease and its done wright it will be 100% for a long time.