Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil Pressure Question, DT466

Stevenbrla ยท 2013-01-29 18:23

1. I've got a mild oil leak on the passenger side of engine. It's where a brass colored fitting screws into something, just above the oil filter. Tightened it about a 1/4 turn. Not sure how much more I can tighten it without breaking something. After the engine warms up, it is about a drop or two every minute or so. Have a pic, and will try to post it. Thoughts on how to fix this? 2. The last few days, right after I start it, the oil/water light flashes... then usually after about 10 seconds, the engine shuts itself off. I check the oil, sometimes needing some.... but had plenty today, same symptom. Seems like it kinda goes away as it gets warmer, it even did it while driving today, but fortunately light went off after about 10 seconds, never to be seen again today... The pressure indicator pretty much jumps up to 50 psi (center of gauge) and moves up slightly with RPM's. Thoughts on any of this? Could this be related to the leak? The leak is about 3 weeks old.

Replies5
  1. #1Stevenbrla2013-01-29 18:32

    Link to pic since I can't seem to resize it.

  2. #2Delmer2013-01-29 18:55

    Unrelated problems. The fitting looks like a flare to me, take it apart and if it is a flare, check to see if the steel tube is cracked. If not, cracked make sure it's clean and put it back together just a little tighter. Or it might be an o-ring or gasket in there to replace. No help here on the other issue, I've heard air bubbles blamed for that?

  3. #3Stevenbrla2013-01-30 15:00

    Hey Steve, put some more water in it dumbass. Steve

  4. #4Mike L2013-01-30 18:14

    IIRC that's a turbo return line. if you take it off, there is what they call a sleeve inside that fitting that is just a o-ring that looks like a piece of rubber tube. go to your local international dealer and describe it to them. I bet they'll know exactly what your talking about. most times the heat makes it brittle over time and it will start to leak. pretty common

  5. #5Stevenbrla2013-01-31 15:36

    Thank you Mike L... I'll do that!