Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil sample……

Shimmy1 · 2024-03-24 11:11

This is an oil sample from a excavator that is selling on Iron Planet. The engine was rebuilt 80 hours ago, and the hydraulic oil was changed at that time. I have my opinions, just wanted to see if you guys agree.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2024-03-24 11:34

    Take steps - big ones in the opposite direction.

  2. #2Shimmy12024-03-24 11:42

    Exactly what I told the guy looking at it. He's not at all pleased. I told him the silicon in the engine is concerning, but the iron in the hydraulics is absolutely terrifying.

  3. #3Nige2024-03-24 12:16

    A rebuilt engine with only 80 hours I’d be just as worried that the engine sample is positive for water and glycol as I would be about the silicon - which ideally ought to be in low single digits. 80-hour hydraulic oil with 400+ ppm of iron is an indication that something is about to come apart big style.

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-03-25 18:23

    Iron Planet--421.48 PPM. sounds right.

  5. #5Nige2024-03-25 19:35

    It may or may not be right but it is a very precise number…..