Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old 988 Cat loader pictures

kshansen ยท 2016-02-16 15:47

Found this in an old desk at work a couple years back. They are 8X10 glossy black and white prints that appear to be from a hand-out of some kind Cat sent to magazines at the time as there is a Post-it note on the backs saying in part: "This material is submitted solely on the basis of interest of your readers" At least one of them, the one labled P884-8-8 in the lower right, may be of the 988 we had back in the late 1960's when I started at the quarry. The old Euclid it is loading looks like the trucks we had back then and the loader has the local dealers logos on it in two places.

Replies6
  1. #1kshansen2016-02-16 15:50

    A few more 988 pictures: View attachment 150269 View attachment 150270 View attachment 150271

  2. #2ol'stonebreaker2016-02-16 19:52

    Good machines and I spent quite a few shifts in them. The B models pretty much put them in the history books. Mike

  3. #3RBMcCloskey2016-02-16 22:03

    The links don't work.

  4. #4RonG2016-02-17 01:53

    I owe ya' one Ken,those b/w pics put me back in the day and I get homesick lookin' at them.Keep 'em comin'.That Cat is a legend.Ron G

  5. #5kshansen2016-02-17 14:11

    Not sure what happened, I'll see if the last three will post again. See if they work this time: Seems to have worked this time! That first picture bothers me, working in water like that is not good, those stones will cut tires like butter when wet!

  6. #6JDOFMEMI2016-02-27 21:13

    Good old 988's. They made a lot of companies a lot of money, and a lot of them are still going. I just hauled one for a friend last week. It was a little rough, but fired up and ran well. I recall being on a project about 15 years ago with the one I used to have. It was there as a back up for the 980C, and the customer I was working for had young guys working by us with brand new rental iron. The "operator" of the new Volvo loader, a 220 if I recall, was making fun of the 988. I told him it would outload his shiny new ride, and he about fell over laughing, so I set up a test, and loaded 3 trucks to his 2. It shut him up and sent him away with his tail between his legs that he got outdone by a machine probably older than his dad.