Looking at a Bobcat 843 that needs some engine work. I think it's a Perkins 2.5 ltr 54 HP engine The only numbers I see on the engine block stamp is GA-S2694K which comes up blank when I look to the Perkins web site. Also having trouble with the serial number on the Bobcat The first 6 in the serial number looks funky. The second 6 looks like it should 5026-M-15056. I'm looking for a cyl head for this beastie.
There might b a data plate on the block behind the inj pump..
I'm no where's near the loader today to look. Does anyone know what model Perkins engine should be in it??? I think it will need a head, upper gasket set, water pump and thermostat
this is the only thing I have for identification right now
Well I did a Google search on "Bobcat 843 Specs" and this is one link I found" https://www.skidsteers.net/bobcat/bobcat-843/
I believe they were the 4.256, early early ones I thought had the 4.108
Have to wonder about Perkins model designations. Just looked up some spec'c on a 4.154, it kind of looks like the "4" means number of cylinders and the ".154" is the displacement rounded up from153.9 cubic inches. But that would mean a 4.256 is 2.3 time the size of a 4.108. Or did they change the numbers after the"." from approx. cubic inches to approx. Liters?
Best I can figure, these engines must of really sucked OR they were to good. Guessing the latter. Did Perkins discontinue it and all it's parts so they could sell new engines? All of my reading suggests that the biggest problem with them is surface cracks in the head and occasional cracks in the pre-chambers. I have not found a new head anywhere. Found used heads that need machine work and one company that claims to be able to weld and re-machine back to factory specs with a warranty The search continues.....
I believe your right on the 4.154.......I'm mistaken on the 4.236 in the 843. .........and you are correct in your assessment of how Perkins gets their model number, at least back in the day. They were good engines in their day. Very simple design and trouble-free if you kept the filters clean. I rebuilt quite a few of them in the 80's and early 90's...............dirt infiltration was what caused the most damage that I saw.
I thought this would make a nice little fix-er-up project but the lack of parts put the boots to it. I have located another fixer project that might be promising. I'll start a different thread for that one
Early 843's had the Perkins 4-154 and later models used an Isuzu engine. There was another thread about a year ago talking about parts availability for the 4-154 not being the best.
For Gods sake.. Get the #’s off the injection pump.!!
Didn't take long to find the 843 parts book with the serial number starting with 5026. Just type in the model number in the search box. https://www.bobcatpartsonline.com/#/catalogBrowser?path=/0000-Loaders/0000-843
Not looking for a injection pump Looking for a head Both Bobcat and Perkins say it's a discontinued part. I'm not going to pursue it. Already wasted a couple of hours looking for good used.
thepumpguysc meant that the numbers on the injection pump will identify what engine it is on. Is the head beyond being able to salvage ? There are shops that can do amazing things for damaged heads and blocks.
Some Miller welders used a 4-154 too. I had one in a 1975 Trailblazer 55D.
I did find a company called DCS (Diesel Cast Welding) that claims to be able to repair it with a warranty. I emailed them for more information but because of Christmas, I doubt I'll hear back until next week
They probably made thousands of these back then but I think I've been to both ends of the internet trying to find a used head or a used complete engine. I'd even buy one that's totally worn out and rebuild it, but I feel like I'm on a fools errand trying to find one.. I wonder if Perkins makes another engine designed to be a direct replacement for the 4.154???
I have used them for the same head. I could see the cracks when I shipped it, the repairs were so perfect I couldnt find them when I got it back. 6 month warranty. However, your valve train must be ok, there are NO small top end parts out there, was told I got the last head gasket in the U S. Run far, run fast, find a different machine...
Head can likely be repaired but do a lot of checking with the shop to make sure they know what they're doing. I don't know how hard it would be to fit an Isuzu from a later model 843 in an older model. Might be worth looking into. 843's were pretty popular.