Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

old case loader backhoe throw out bearing question

diver ยท 2016-07-01 17:15

Ok guys the questions is do i have to take the hoe off to change a throw out bearing. I was thinking of taking the loader bucket and arms off, the front weight and then with plasma cutter cut loader front frame off about 6 inchs from where it bolts to front of engine and then move engine forward. Grady was over and he said to ask you professionals abut this. i hope i can micky mouse this throw out bearing in and new clutch.. Just getting a growl from clutch area .. thanks all

Replies21
  1. #1onemank62016-07-01 19:12

    Diver ...........I would think the best way would be to remove the loader and slide the engine and front end forward so you can get in there to do the work i would avoid cutting the loader arms if at all possible ..........

  2. #2lantraxco2016-07-01 21:36

    What model, 530?

  3. #3Delmer2016-07-01 22:18

    Is the clutch slipping? I don't think I'd go to that trouble just for a growling throw out bearing.

  4. #4Grady2016-07-02 04:05

    I think it might be a 430 but I'm not positive.

  5. #5lantraxco2016-07-02 04:32

    Tried greasing the throwout, and adjusting the linkage so it's not turning consantly?

  6. #6diver2016-07-02 06:12

    Now way to get at the bearing . I have the the clutch adjusted as loose as possible. and no slippage... Im really not 100% sure its the throw out bearing. thanks

  7. #7diver2016-07-02 06:18

    I would nott be cutting loader arms jut the very front of loader frame . see pic.

  8. #8diver2016-07-02 06:20

    Lantraxco . Im not sure but it is a old tired lady that is screaming let me die and i just cant let her go

  9. #9Grady2016-07-02 08:40

    Diver, Is that a new noise? I wouldn't be surprised if it could make that noise for more years than we have left. I'm with the "If it aint broke - don't fix it" crowd. I was pretty impressed by that ole rig. It's still doing a ton of work and fires right up to do some more. It's like a work horse that can't wait to get out of the barn and get at it. How many thousand yards has that thing moved recently? Four? You should post a pic of the swing cylinder set up on the hoe so people can see how it used to look compared to now. I thought that was pretty interesting.

  10. #10diver2016-07-02 16:41

    I bet ive filled in over 4000 +yards is the past three years. One guy last year brought me close to 3000 yards in three weeks. heck i just received 40 more yards Friday .................Yes the noise started this year..

  11. #11Grady2016-07-03 12:22

    Thanks for the pic. I thought that was pretty interesting - the way they stuck those things right out there in harm's way. At least they had the rams protected. They usually get all scratched up from rocks and stuff hitting them. There's probably a bearing in the front of the shuttle not far from that throwout bearing but at least that one is in lube but who knows? That just seems like a huge job for a throw out bearing.

  12. #12Juskatla2016-07-03 13:37

    That's a pretty interesting swing cylinder arrangement. At my place, I would have killed those with the blast rock I dig and move around. Boulders don't always stay where you want them. I have seen other older Case tractors with the same loader frame arrangement but never thought about having to remove it to get at the underlying tractor part. Is it possible to block it off and roll the tractor back? Or, if its like mine has been, are the bolts and mountings going to fight you all the way? Cutting where you indicated should work and if you can get it back in place and gusset plate the cuts, will last the next 25 year life of the old girl. It reminds me of some women I used to know, a little rough to look at, tough as nails but with a heart of gold.... Keep her going!

  13. #13diver2016-07-04 15:52

    All the bolts on the hoe are welded . they even welded the darn brackets to loader hoe frame. I look and say no freaking way do i want to try and get that hoe off. lol It looks like i could cut and be able to roll front foward to change bearing. I just have no idea how far i have to go to as i will change clutch also . thanks

  14. #14lantraxco2016-07-04 18:15

    There should be an access port there somewhere, rubber plug on the bottom, or a bolt on cover plate somewhere as all the models I perused had a zerk on the throwout carrier. Now that MAY be just for the carrier to lube where it slides, but typically back in those days it would feed grease to an unsealed throwout bearing. YMMV

  15. #15diver2016-07-05 08:07

    lantraxco, no fittings anywhere. My old kubota had that fitting to bearing. I can grease just about everything else .Heck with all the oil this ol gal slings you would thing some worked its way to the throw out bearing...lol

  16. #16check2016-07-05 09:15

    It's been several decades since I put a clutch in a 530, but I don't remember that guard on the front. All I did was put the bucket in the air and slid the motor forward. Took me less than a day start to finish.

  17. #17diver2016-07-07 16:36

    Found the problem. The old generator bearings in the ol gal gave out. I do not use it anyway but i need a belt tensioner . maybe something from the salvage yard may work. I ground the generator shaft and case real bad so unable to fix it.

  18. #18lantraxco2016-07-07 18:28

    Spring type tensioner would probably work, make a plate to mount it to.

  19. #19diver2016-07-07 19:34

    Good idea. Time to hit the salvage yards thanks

  20. #20Delmer2016-07-07 19:46

    Is there room to replace it with an alternator? You could put a one wire alternator in there, but it's not that hard to wire one up right. A standard "ignition" alternator is worth the little bit of trouble.

  21. #21diver2016-07-09 09:02

    I fixed the ol gal. The bearing was welded to shaft . I cut it off cleaned up shaft , bought new bearing at napa, centered it in the housing and used a 2 part epoxy and poured it all around bearing. All is ok with ol gal and she rewarded me with some earth moving luv