Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Cat idler/roller lube

northmanlogging ยท 2019-08-25 00:00

Hello, searching was uneffective Just picked up a D6 8U, I was told to use 90w on the rollers and idlers but I question everything and I'm wondering why just some regular old grease won't work. Especially since these things don't hold the 90w anyway and grease is better in dirty situations, but I am literally at the 12 hour mark of Dozer experience so I'm asking all the moss backs here. Also where would a guy find a new button head adapter to install said lube

Replies10
  1. #1epirbalex2019-08-25 03:06

    I used Castrol TC grease , made for the job I was told .

  2. #2Nige2019-08-25 04:20

    My 2c. If the face seals in rollers/idlers won't hold liquid lube then it's time the rollers/idlers were either rebuilt or replaced. YMMV.

  3. #3DMiller2019-08-25 11:07

    These were originally Oil filled as Nige noted, seals bad = rebuild.

  4. #4Old Magnet2019-08-25 11:53

    This is what was used on original rollers & idlers. Grade "0" track and roller lube.

  5. #5Old Magnet2019-08-25 12:01

    Button head adapter (large) is available at any industrial supply such as McMaster-Carr or check ebay. Original pumps were low volume/pressure and pressure sensitive so that you did not blow out the seals. Hard to avoid if using regular grease gun.

  6. #6northmanlogging2019-08-25 21:57

    Thankee folks To be honest I'm not 100% sure if the rollers hold lube or not, machine has been sitting roughly 8 years, but fires up easy and only 1000 original hours, So I guess I need to stop by NAPA and see what they can do for me on lube... and yet another grease gun sigh... Still need to swap all fluids, fix "thermoids?", get the linkage replaced for the left hand brake and get the radiator plugged up before I really start running it hard. anyhow, wish me luck on figuring out how to run the damned thing

  7. #7northmanlogging2019-09-03 22:29

    an update of sorts... parts for the clutch ordered, and machine tore down enough to install new parts, (I have some of the parts but parts went missing in the failure process so...) Anyhow still need to get some roller lube, but thats been on the back burner until I can get the clutch sorted. In the process of removing the upper bell housing? cover I had to remove the pony motor fly wheel, only to find that the big nut that holds it on was barely hand tight only held on by the lock washer/shim... good times as well as most of the bolts in the cover being pretty loose too, not sure if its because someone else poked around in there before or if its normal rattling loose of parts... The real fun thing was finding the broken thermoid shackle and pin/bolt in the bottom of the bell housing about 3" from the flywheel... its been running and moving way more then was wise... one good bump and I'd of been eating cast iron and clutch parts... I'm only working on this thing a few hours every couple days, as I have other duties and its been stupid hot around here (mid 80's... DON'T MOVE HERE) But its coming together slowly, hopefully by the end of the week I'll have it running proper again.

  8. #8northmanlogging2019-09-03 23:01

    Just a small bit of metal floating around where it dont belong

  9. #9northmanlogging2019-09-03 23:02

    The oil is from me spilling the air cleaner...

  10. #10TomA2019-09-04 09:01

    OO grease is special order now and very expensive for 5 gallons. I have found it at Tractor supply in quarts for about $5.. It is in the mower section.