A few months back I was cleaning out an old desk at work and stumbled on what appears to be some pictures supplied by Cat for someone in our company many years ago. The show various views of an original Cat 988 loader and one even has a good view of a Euclid. Must have bee taken before Cat was building their own off-highway trucks. I scanned them in an will see if I can attach them to this post.
I see the limit is 5 pictures per post so here are the other three.
The 988 came out in 1964 and in 1971 ROPS became standard equipment. This one has a soft cab. I imagine it's an early model. They were a tough machine. Ran some of them and an 824 dozer in an open pit iron mine. FWD
Nice pics. It's a real early one alright, straight pipe and the old style decals.
I actually recall the S/N of the one we had when I started here, 87A01964. If I recall this was also a 1964 model, just a coincidence that the S/N and year matched. It was identical to the one in the photos. "Soft cab" was molded fiberglass, not much protection if rolled over I'll bet!
Them pics bring back alota memories, spent alot of hours loadin trucks with one them ol beast. First large loader I got to run way back when. Thanks for posting.:drinkup Bob aka ZZ
Bob, I didn't spend too much time running on of the good ol' 988A's, notice how Cat never called them that but replaced them with B's and so on?, but I did spend many hours pulling wrenches on them. As much as I would have cussed at them back then in many ways I'd rather work on one of them than the 988H we have today. I don't think you could find an operator these days that could run one of those old girls for 10-12 hours loading shot rock. What no AM/FM stereo, no AC, and what am I to do with those big levers next to the seat? Where's the joy stick steering?
nicee
Those are some cool pictures
Going to work is just like stepping back in time Welcome to my world
Except for well worn paint it actually looks to be in good condition for it's age. I did see the aftermarket AC unit, if it works should help a little. Ever have to work on the wheel brakes on one of those? The parking brake on the 988H looks just like the one on these old machines. Must be it was a good design, as long as operator didn't take off with it engaged! We had one catch fire from that years ago!
we still run a 988A, we use it on train wreck, it is a beast of a loader for its size and weight.
steering shake kshansen They where a handful to run all day. Did you ever encounter a problem with the steering shakin,while backin-up, turnin,& boomin-up, bucket gets to almost eye level and it starts, sometimes you can push thru it, sometimes you gotta throtle down then ease back into ? Never did get answer from boss or wrench before I moved on. Had forgot about it till I saw your pics.:drinkup Thanks Bob aka ZZ
Ran one of those back in the late 70's, early 80's.
I have seen a 1971 cat 956A far sale AT Canada with 12,000 hours, I seem to like it, I need advice from users of this brand. I will appreciate any advice.
the brand is 980B not 956A. Sory.
We run 2 980B's for snowplowing and some dirt work. Used to use 2 988a's. The 988's are real beasts but much slower. Either machine is very dependable and all parts are available. Lots of aftermarket parts. Steering shake is caused by many things and sometimes hard to get rid of. Loose center pins, loose steering linkage, worn steering cylinder bushings, steering box wear are some of the causes.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iQSvVbL9RJo/Tl5fUK24FVI/AAAAAAAAGPI/JnGJs_vwTi4/s1600/IMG_8800.JPG this is the cat 980G image
great old pics ! now thats quality steel
And I like the fact that the complete wiring diagram would fit on a sheet of paper about 5 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches! The 988H we have needs a 4X8 sheet of plywood to fit the diagram on and it's still hard to read some of it! I should dig out one of those old diagrams and scan it just to show some of the young guys how simple they were back then.
Just copied one from Cat SIS for a 966C loader. The 988A one was not a good scan.
those old dogs are something to see im completly rebuilding a 988H right now at work
How many hours on that 998H? We have one just hitting 11,000 hours. Hope it can go at lest that much more before any major work. Have done hydraulic cylinders all at least once.
Well your past the recommended overhaul time already, but 15000 hours is usually doable with excellent maintenance depending on what the machine is used for.
The shaking must have been a common problem. I ran a 988 at a quarry in Oak Ridge TN back in early 70's and the Cat mechanics never did get the shake out.
kshansen, The loader photos are great, but the electrical schematic is *priceless*! Start, stop, work lights, and window wipers, that's all that I want...
Jim U Pulled that right pedal up too stop her