Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Cats and Adams Pull Graders

Northart ยท 2008-01-07 21:19

A Cat 30 and Adams is 1st picture A Cat 60 and Adams is 2nd picture.

Replies14
  1. #1Eric2008-01-07 22:55

    I'd be curious to know if anyone on here has ever run any of those graders!

  2. #2surfer-joe2008-01-08 18:14

    Yeah! And it weren't a whole lot of fun neither. Dusty and sweaty and by noon I was always one tired puppy. The blade was an old Adams model, all manual control. We pulled it behind a Farmall model M. I sure was glad when we got rid of it and picked up a small Allis Chalmers w/hydraulic controls.

  3. #3Eric2008-01-08 20:40

    How do you operate those drag behinds!! Levers or wheels??

  4. #4bobcat ron2008-01-08 20:53

    Two words: Red Bull.

  5. #5Northart2008-01-08 23:25

    Operation ? They were operated manually by turning the wheels . All mechanical drive. The early ones had a dual channel iron frame. Later ones had a single box beam frame. The Power Controlled model had a single cylinder gas engine ( Caterpillar's smallest ) to power the mechanical drive , and levers for the Operator to control. Adams had Gas Wisconsin engines.

  6. #6Northart2008-01-09 09:48

    Cat 22 Sideseat and Grader Now look at this marvel:usa , no twisting the neck, here so bad. Notice the foot pedals on the fender.

  7. #7Eric2008-01-09 21:25

    Sweet!! I'd like to watch those work someday.

  8. #8stjo462008-04-06 18:38

    I would like to know where that unit is , I would like to walk around it and enjoy somebody ingenuity. That whats makes this site enjoyable pictures like that Thank You

  9. #9Northart2008-04-06 18:57

    Pull Grader ? Hello Stjo46, The Cat 22 with side seat was at the HECA show in Pennsylvania, I believe. There is an old pull grader off the Old Steese, near Fox,Alaska last time I was that way. Another one sitting by Bernie Karls site near the pipeline tourist site. Also Local 302 has an old Adams restored down at the Palmer Training site.

  10. #10plowking7402008-04-06 22:37

    I have had the oportunity to operate a grader like that. it was a little smaller than the ones above and was pulled by a team of horses.( the neighbour had a team for a hobby on the farm) We only did his lane which was about half to 3/4 of a mile long. took us four passes and then one more to fix up my mess. it was a real treat, ridding behind the team of horses. After standing on the back of that for a couple of hours, the legs hurt pretty good, and it takes a little work to raise and lower that blade. but it was still one of the most unique operating experiances of my life.

  11. #11bear2008-04-07 03:45

    Some friends of mine still do their logging and farming with mules. I've helped them many times and all i know is it takes one tough guy to look up a mules rear all day for years.

  12. #12Northart2008-04-07 04:13

    Harness ? Bear; You are looking in the wrong place unless you are from ???? The withers and shoulders behind the hames for sweat build up, is the place to watch. http://www.ruralheritage.com/tack_room/collar.htm

  13. #13bear2008-04-07 04:18

    I know but his mules always have some kind of let's call it a... digestive disorder. not pleasant within a hundred feet of the critters when they have a plow down good or a turn of logs hooked up. ointhead

  14. #14stjo462008-04-07 12:33

    Good Info This is all good information I don't know where you can find stuff like this. I guess this is what keeps me coming back to this site. If we are talking about the back end of a mule isn't that pres. Bush.