Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old D-5 Clutch Lever Adjustment

Hambone33 · 2018-02-06 22:21

I have an old Cat D-5 about 1974 vintage. It is a powerdrive machine with hand clutches for the tracks - levers you pull back to release clutch. The levers have a spring return that puts them back in the drive position after you release the lever. Recently the left clutch lever suddenly stopped returning as it should. I traced the mechanism and found under the seat where the return springs are located. The left spring is completely retracted when the clutch lever is in the engaged position - all the way in. As you can see from my photo here the right spring has some tension on it in the totally retracted position. I assume something slipped or broke allowing the left spring to lose all tension. My manual doesn't include any information on adjusting this spring. Can anybody help me with what to look for and how I might adjust this so the spring is properly tensioned? Appreciate any help.

Replies9
  1. #1Old Magnet2018-02-06 22:47

    Run through the steering clutch adjustments...

  2. #2Bluox2018-02-07 00:35

    I think that spring is for your brakes ,looks like your parking brake is set and the lever is unhooked. Bob

  3. #3Old Magnet2018-02-07 01:26

    Looking at the parts book it shows a spring on each brake pedal rod and one for the parking brake. None on the steering clutch linkage.

  4. #4Hambone332018-02-08 01:48

    I wondered what that lever under the seat was for. Saw that it was unhooked but didn't know it was the parking brake. Another problem to fix. Back to the clutch. Any idea why the left clutch arm would suddenly stop going back in on it's own? I have to push it back in or it will stay out. Also I thought maybe a spring caused it to return but I don't see a spring in the diagram. Maybe I just have something binding in the mechanism somewhere?? I'll pull off all the inspection panels and see if I notice anything causing it to bind. I also noticed the left control arm does not go forward quite as far as the right one and when I am pushing hard the machine tends to pull a little to the left side. Clutch adjustment? I bought this old dozer to do some work around my place and it has a decent undercarriage, runs great, pushes hard but it has not been maintained the best. I am fixing all the little problems caused by lack of regular maintenance from previous owners and learning as I go. Thanks for the help.

  5. #5Hambone332018-02-08 02:59

    Couldn't sleep so I got on Ebay and found the original CAT Service manual and Parts manual for my machine and ordered both. Looks like I am going to need them!

  6. #6Bluox2018-02-08 06:53

    Your right brake is on. Push down on brake pedal and pull up on brake lever should release spring and brake pedal. Bob

  7. #7Hambone332018-02-08 20:35

    I connected the parking brake lever with the linkage that was not connected and tried to set the parking brake - nothing happens. It will not stay in place. Since I hooked it up it seems like I have to push the right brake pedal all the way down to get the brake to work. Maybe the parking brake lever was disconnected for a reason. I worked with the dozer all day and got a lot of dirt moved so at least it is doing what I want. I just like things to be RIGHT with my equipment if I can get it there. Just have to keep plugging along fixing all the things the previous owner seemed to ignore.

  8. #8Bluox2018-02-08 22:29

    Now you need to adjust your brakes. The parking brake uses the brake pedal to set it push down on lever and push brake pedal down . Will your steering levers return now ? Bob

  9. #9Hambone332018-02-09 22:26

    The left lever will not go back in on it’s own, I have to remember to push it in. Been too busy to look at it.