Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old D4 Question

ACcrazy ยท 2011-08-17 21:17

Hello o wise ones. How big of a pain would it be to add a blade to an old agricultural D4 that looks like it wasn't designed to ever have one? I believe it's a 5T. Any one ever added one to an ag machine? Probably a dumb question but I had to ask anyway. There's one for sale dirt cheap and I thought if it wasn't too much of a hassle (or too expensive) to install a blade set-up it might be worth it. Am I way off? Thanks.

Replies5
  1. #1Trashman2011-08-17 21:34

    How old is it and does it have an existing hydraulic circuit?

  2. #2ACcrazy2011-08-17 21:43

    I honestly don't know. It's for sale on Craigslist with only one pic. I wanted to get whatever info I could from you all on this site before I contacted the seller. As far as how old, if it is a 5T, (he says it's a T-5?) that would put it in the 1940s I think.

  3. #3Trashman2011-08-17 22:05

    It will not have a hydraulic circuit, if it is that old. It would be cost prohibitive in my opinion. Might be easier to add a cable lift system from a similar machine.

  4. #4Old Magnet2011-08-17 22:58

    The 5T came in narrow and wide gauge (1945-1947). You would have to find a complete package dozer with hydraulic system to work. LaPlant Choate, Caterpillar, Dakota and Holt were some of the blade package options at the time. LeTourneau also made a headache bar cable control set up if you want to go that way.

  5. #5ACcrazy2011-08-18 21:16

    Thanks Trashman and Old Magnet. I'll probably just keep my eyes open for something with a blade.