Hello everyone, just found this forum and hoping you all could provide a heavy equipment novice with some advice. We have an old D6 at our farm that my grandfather purchased used in the 1980's. It was used on and off until the mid 2000's and has sat parked since 2006. It was running when he parked it but I seemed to recall that he was in the process of replacing the flywheel between the main engine and pony motor because it has some chipped teeth. Shortly after he tore into it he got sick and was never able to get back to it. It has sat parked in a pole barn ever since. My father, uncle and I haven't wanted to deal with it so were trying to decide the next steps. Is there any market for this old girl as is or do we just call the scrap yard and get what we can for it. Not sure what it would take to get it running and the family is not really looking to put any money into it. Any guidance you all could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Jesse
Try the ACMOC site. Its deals only in old Cats. We have a number of members in Florida. It would be a pity to scrap it. As well as I can see it in the pictures, the tracks may have some lofe left. Put a post on the For Sale forum there. You should get some interest. Being that it is stored under cover, and depending on how far apart it has been torn down, it may not be that big of a job for a old Cat geek to get it back to running condition. Edit: Wish I were closer.
You can find the serial no on the back of the gear case in the marked location on this pic...either a tag or if the tag is missing it will be stamped on the housing. May have to scrape it to see the number. I'm guessing a "9U" number prefix. Definitely worth saving, especially having been stored under roof.
Look for serial number locations here....
Thank you everyone for the replies. I'll shoot over to ACMOC and see what I can find out. If we can get this thing running for a few thousand we might just keep it.
Jesse, please keep us updated occasionally? Neill